Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CISCO RV220 SLOW WIFI OR UNSTABLE WIFI

Hello, I have a cisco routeur RV220W with the firmware 1.0.5.8. I have updated it the last week.

I have problems with the wireless. Apparently, i am not the only one.

The wifi  connection is slow, with this parameters :

2.4GHz

G,N  Mixed;  Auto bandwidth

WPA2 encrypted or  open

I always get only 10 - 15Mbps speed.

I have tried to change the channel but i have only Wifi N only for somes hours et after the processeur go to 100% and i must rebooted It.

How Can I resolve this probleme ?

12 Replies 12

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Christophe,

Try the following, not necessarily all togather:

Channel Bandwidth: 20Mhz

Select the SSID, Edit WMM and enable it. Do not change anything in the DSCP to Queue Table.

Under Advanced Settings:

Beacon Interval: 200

In some cases editing the above settings helps. I have an RV220W at home with the same basic settings as you except for the Channel Bandwidth is 20Mhz and the wireless is great. My ISP bandwidth is about 40/4Mbps and I get all of it wired and wireless.

Are there any other wireless networks in the area or do you have any other access points? You may need to adjust the channel that the SSID broadcasts on.

- Marty

HI Marty,

No, there isn't others Wireless Networks in the area. When you say ''you may need to adjust the channel'', it is in the case of another wireless networks ?

Christophe,

Other networks are not the only cause of interference. Sometimes a cordless phone, microwave, etc. can use the same frequency and cause issues. Normally it causes devices to drop off the network though, not slow speed. I mention it only because it is available and simple to change.

- Marty

No, there isn't others Wireless Networks in the area. When you say ''you may need to adjust the channel'', it is in the case of another wireless networks ?

How were you able to determine there are no hidden SSIDs operating nearby?  Don't use any smartphones/tablets to do your sniffing.  You need a PC and install free software such as inSSIDer or Kismet and find out if you've got wireless around you. 

A few more sources of wireless interferrence are: 

1.  Bluetooth devices;

2.  DECT phones; 

3.  Wireless smoke detectors;

4.  Wireless microphones;

5.  Microwave ovens (not all) 

These interferrence can't be detected unless you have special gears to do so.

This is my test. And  my best result.

I connect my laptop RV220W at 150 mbps .I cant upgrade this result and i dont know why. I buy a usb wireless Netgear  Mini Adapter 300N WNA 3100M but my transfer rate is the same. I m at 30 cm to RV220W.

I disable WMM because decrease my performance to 30 mbps (read/write).

I disable wifi protection (WPA 2 personal) but nothing.

Standard N or G/N dont change the performance.

Daniele,

The maximum N speed at 20Mhz is 150Mbps. You have to use channel bonding to get 270Mbs, the highest the RV220W supports. Change the Channel Bandwidth to Auto instead of 20Mhz. Keep in mind that this may cause other problems (instability) and in most cases 20Mhz is a better option. You might try 5Ghz but the RV220W supports either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz, not both simultaneously.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-030282.htm

- Marty

Thanks Marty,

I think 150 Mbps is a good performance but my performance is very far from it. Only 68 Mbps. And I don t know why if my laptop and desktop connect at 150 and 300 Mbps. My signal power is excellent.

What can I do to increase my trasfer speed? I have to transfer 300/400 Mbyte of data and with wireless in this condition is impossible.

At channell 11-12-13 my wireless drop after 5 minutes. The problem, probably, is my neighbor but what the solution?

Daniele,

Using the same computer over the wired connection, what is the speed when connecting to the same server (DISKSTATION)?

150Mbps is the theoretical maximum speed of the connection, not the actual connection speed. If you connect at Gigabit speed (wired) the NIC will indicate 1000Mbps but the actual transfer speed will be much less because it is limited by many other factors, including the NICs involved, network devices, hard drive speed, etc.

- Marty

With wired connection, about 70-80 MB/s (600 Mbps).

Daniele,

That is certainly a big difference and I would expect to see better performance over the wireless, although not even close to the wired speed. Have you tested 5Ghz?

- Marty

Hi Marty,

my wireless adapter (laptop and Netgear  Mini Adapter 300N WNA 3100M) don't support 5Ghz. Uffffff.

At channell 11-12-13 my wireless drop after 5 minutes. The problem, probably, is my neighbor but what the solution?

Use 802.11a.