cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco RV220W Router SSL VPN with firmware 1.0.5.8

e.frauendienst
Level 1
Level 1

Recently I bought a CISCO RV220W-E V01 Router. I am trying to setup a SSL VPN Tunnel which is working fine with Windows 7-32.

With Windows 7-64 I get a  Virtual Passage Error. From internet reseach I get this is a SSLDRV.sys Driver problem.

From internet research I also get that when establishing a Tunnel to a NETGEAR SRX5308 a proper Driver will install which eventually will make a SSL VPN work with an RV220W.

The question, is there an update to this driver from Cisco, or will an update be available soon, or where to get it from a third party ?

Also what to do when using Windows 8.1 ?

Can anybody confirm that SSL VPN is working with Win 8.1-32/64 ?

Cheers ERWIN

8 Replies 8

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

e.frauendienst,

You may find that the following links are helpful.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-33138

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3645111#3645111

Search this community for RV220W SSL to find more.

I ran into a problem with the driver on a Win7 64-bit laptop and used Option 1 from the following page to work around it:

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/loading-unsigned-drivers-in-windows-7-and-vista-64-bit-x64/

In the end I found that other VPN solutions worked better for me on Windows 7 (QuickVPN, Shrewsoft) and OSX (IPSecuritas)

- Marty

Hi Marty,

thank you for your suggestions.

I switched off the driver sinature enforcement manually and also tried ReadyDriverPlus (which is a nice tool) but with the same result (Virtual Passage Error).

It seems that this is not a signature problem but the Version of the SSLDRV.sys (Virtual PassageExe.exe).

So far I did not mention that I am always test wit the latest updates in Windows, Java, Internet Explorer and Firefox.

I also do agree that there are better VPN solutions, but it would be convenient to use SSL VPN from any computer to my homeNW.

ERWIN

Erwin,

I couldn't agree more with your last statement and this was the intention when Cisco started using SSL VPN on the SMB routers. Unfortunately we just can't seem to keep up with the OS, browser(s), Java, etc. updates. Do to all of the security risks the developers of these products have been forced to lock them down, making it very difficult to get a computer working in the first place. It is not a bad solution once you get it working but to think that you will be able to connect from any computer is just not realistic anymore. I did read the RV220W review at smallnetbuilder.com where he was able to connect with the Netgear driver installed. It would certainly be interesting to get a copy of that driver and test with the RV220W.

- Marty

Hi Marty

Is there any way to just manually download the SSL VPN Tunnel Client Installer? I have tried every mentioned fixed but with no success. on Firefox for instance I get: "VPClient has been found corrupted and needs to be reinstalled"

Thank you

Wilmar,

There is no way to do that, at least not that I'm aware of. In my experience IE works best, I never had any luck connecting with Chrome or Firefox. There have been several updates to all browsers since, so that may have changed.

- Marty

wilmar.perez
Level 1
Level 1

Hi e.frauendiens

Did you happen to find a fix for your problem?

Thanks

So far I coud not manage to get this stuff going in an accepable way.

I will report if I find out something new.

Cheers ERWIN

I am close to return this apliance. I haven't found a good alternative for the budget though. Any suggestion?

Thank you very much for replying

Best regards,

Wilmar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: