Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cisco RV325 - can my corrupted documents be caused by the router?

Here's the set up:  Cisco RV325 hard wired directly to 5 computers and 1 NAS drive (QNAP), and also to 2 more computers and a Netgear wireless access point via a Netgear switch.   All Gigabit infrastructure, including cabling.

Our Usage - normally light, with periods of time when all computers are used at once.  Some employees stream video at work.  Everyone works off the NAS drive, building ads and manipulating photos.  Software used...  InDesign, Photoshop, Excel and Word.  Errors / corruptions seen in all programs. 

Here's the failures:  At seemingly random times, and occurring on all computers in the office at one time or another, we see corruption of a file or graphic element within a file.  Sometimes it corrupts a document, sometimes just the file within a document and after replacement, the document is again fine.  More prevalent when everyone is working at once, though sometimes happens when a single computer is in use.  Most often has affected InDesign files, but similar issues have been seen working with Photoshop during batch conversions of 100+ photos and while working with Excel files... even some weirdness in our QuickBooks files.  Problem has occurred on the wired computers mentioned above, and on my wife's laptop, connecting thru the wireless access point.

What we've done:  Reinstalled all software from original disks.  Replaced both hard drives in the NAS drive with new, approved, enterprise level drives.  Updated the firmware of the NAS drive and had their tech support remote in and have a look see... no problems found, drive functioning as normal.  Replaced the Netgear switch.  Restarted and reset the router.  Upgraded the firmware in the router.

A CLUE:  If I look at the logs in the admin of the Cisco Router, I can see that several times a minute, a packet coming from our computers going to some random outside website was blocked.  In the system log it says "Connection Refused - Policy Violation" and will have something like this info for details:  IN=eth0 OUT=eth1 SRC=192.168.1.144 DST=190.93.245.15 DMAC=e4:c7:22:ce:01:54 SMAC=00:0e:04:14:55:41 LEN=40 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=127 ID=21278 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=58771 DPT=80 WINDOW=16305 RES=0x00 ACK FIN URGP=0

You can see that the packet in question was originating in our system and DST was 190.93.245.15... which is part of a webhosting company somewhere called cloudflare.  Other occurrences were destined for other places.... so not all cloudflare. These errors are continuous and from what I've researched, not a big deal....  but I'm a newbie at all this so who knows?         No ... serious... who knows?  Anyone?

So.... as a newbie, I need help here.  Are there other logs or reports in the Cisco admin I can look at to see if the router is functioning correctly, or is replacing it the only way to see if it was bad?  Are the policy violations described above a concern?  How can I stop them?  Is it normal for my computers to be sending packets of info out several times a minute?  Is it just likely that my fairly new (less than a year) router is a piece of junk and already needs replaced?  These questions and more will be answered on our next episode....   hopefully. 

Thanks in advance for your help!

Everyone's tags (1)
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content