Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SRP526 slow internet after a while

JeroenBonenberg
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I'm new to the Cisco support community, so I don't now if I am posting in the right group. If this is the wrong group, sorry for that.

Recently I placed an Cisco SRP 526W, but this modem is acting quite strange. I have configured an ADSL connection, some NAT forwardings and a VPN tunnel, all of this is working fine. When the Cisco is booted and running, everything runs smooth. Internet is working nice, I can connect over the VPN tunnel to the internal network and so on. The problem is that after a while, mostly after a day or two days, internet browsing is showing problems. IE can't display the page and I have to refresh 1 on 2 times to reach te webpage. I can't connect over the VPN tunnel to the internal network or the internal ip-address of the router, the router is not responding on ping request on the internal ip and external ip. The NAT forwardings are still responing though.

After a reboot everything is running fine again, but I can't let my customer reboot his router each day.

Do you have any suggestions where I should look to solve this problem? From the ZyXEL modem/routers we used to place at our customers I know the NAT table runs full and I had to use a greater value, I can't find such a setting in this Cisco and I have no idea where to look for any slution. So maybe someone here can put me in the right direction. If you need more information, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any response.

Kind regards,

Jeroen Bonenberg

6 Replies 6

What is the firmware version of your SRP?

Can you enable the syslog and capture logs from boot phase to blocked state?

Regards.

Hello Daniele,

First, thanks for your reply.

The firmware version of the SRP is: 1.01.09 (001) Apr 7 2010.

I'd like to enable the syslog, but I can't find a place to enable, although the help function in the router is telling me there should be one. How/where can I enable the function?

Regards

First, try to upgrade the firmware to latest version 1.01.24.

Here you can find the release notes:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10500/prod_release_notes_list.html

and here the firmware:

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=282910822&catid=268437899&softwareid=282919993&release=1.01.24&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

and let me know what happens.

Regards.

Hello Daniele,

Well, I think the firmware in the SRP is damaged. The "Administration" menu contains only two items, "Time setup" and "Switch setting", but in de manual I see there should be about ten items. One of them is "Firmware upgrade". Because that item is disappeared, I can't do a firmware upgrade and I think this also could be the problem of slow internet after a while. I already tried resetting the SRP two times now, but the "Administration" menu keeps containing the above mentioned items.

Is there any way to perform a firmware upgrade with console or something like that? I don't see a console port, but maybe there is a way to do the update on that way.

Again, thanks for your reply.

Regards,

Jeroen

Hi Jeroen,

Are you logging on as admin/admin or cisco/cisco?  Use admin/admin to upgrade the SRP - also ensure that you are using a supported browser (current general release versions of IE, Firefox, Chrome or Safari should be fine)

If the GUI really is damaged (I've never seen this before), first try a factory reset by holding the reset button for >10 seconds.

If that doesn't work and you still can't see the Administration > Firmware Upgrade menu, you could try upgrading via the provisioning interface.  Do you see the voice tab when you log in as admin?  If so, you will first need to make the new firmware available on a TFTP or HTTP server that is within reach of the SRP.  Then go to the voice > provisioning tab and scroll down to "Firmware Upgrade" then enter the URL for the code in the Upgrade Rule box (eg: tftp://192.168.16.100/SRP520_1.01.24_003_090711_1509.bin).  When you click on submit, the device should upgrade.

Regarding the original query, hopefully the new code will fix your issues, but as a general point, it is advised that you disable any services you don't require.  For example, if you don't need them, disable UPnP and the voice ports.

Regards,

Andy

Hello Andrew,

You're right, I had to login with the admin user. I completely missed that in thee documentation, sorry for that.

I did the firmware upgrade, so now I can test if the SRP will be stable with its internet connection. I'll let you know as soon as I tested this.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Jeroen