Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure RV016 with two WAN-Routers

olver.wahlen
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

In our company we want to make the internet connection more reliable and have bought a Cisco RV016 router.

We have two internet providers: one DSL and the via over cable TV.

Both are connected with dedicated routers (Fritz!Box) that are in turn connected to the RV016.

Unfortunately the internet connection is not reliable.

Using wireshark I can see packet duplicates and retransmissions.

It would be nice, if someone could give me an advice how to configure the 3 devices apropriately.

Currently the configuration is as follows:

Fritz!Box 1:

External IP obtained by Cable TV provider

Internal IP set to 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 (natted)

static route configured for the net 192.168.100.0/24 via gateway 192.168.1.200

Fritz!Box 2:

External IP obtained by DSL provider

Internal IP set to 192.168.2.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 (natted)

static route configured for the net 192.168.100.0/24 via gateway 192.168.2.200

RV016:

Device is configured as router (not as gateway)

WAN1 IP 192.168.1.200 netmask 255.255.255.0

WAN2 IP 192.168.2.200 netmask 255.255.255.0

LAN configured as 192.168.100.0/24

I would also like to understand what is the exact difference between RV016 acting as gateway or as router.

Maybe someone can also tell me the criteria the RV016 uses to send an IP packet via the same WAN-Port than another IP packet (in its default configuration).

Is this done for the same destination IP, TCP-Connection, http-session or what criteria is used for this?

I suspect this mechanism to conflict with the nat of the two ISP-routers.

best regards,

Oliver

1 Reply 1

lariasqu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Oliver, thank you for using our forum, my name is Luis I am part of the Small business Support community. The difference between Gateway mode and Router mode is, when the router is hosting your network´s connection to the Internet. This is the default setting, and Router mode when the router is in a network sharing routes with other routers, and another router acts as the network gateway to the Internet.

So in your case should be set it as Route Mode.

Now, about your issue, when you go to Port Statistics, are you able to see the DNS from each both Internet connections?

If you are able to see you could set an IP statically to a device just to test if you get Internet connection.

Please let me know the result.

I hope you find this answer useful

Greetings,

Luis Arias.

Cisco Network Support Engineer.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: