Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring of RV042 VPN

I am looking for some help in configuring RV042 for VPN access to local machines and Win 2008 server.  The story: Had issues with remote printers being created for clients logging into old Linksys RV042 with Linksys VPN software.  First Tech exposed server without security, and it had to be removed as it was being attacked, but did not fix printing issue.  2nd tech could not get VPN to work after 1st tech.  3rd tech, 4hours, and I got that the router is a piece of ...  So I'm out over 1000, and not able to have a simple router set up.  The present situation.  New RV042 with firmware V4.1.1.01, using Cisco VPN client 5.0.07.0410, most XP 32 bit machines coming into network, one 64 bit win 7.  My clients have been unable to access their data for too long, and I need a quick fix.  Willing to pay, just need the person to really know what they are doing.  Thanks in advance.  (Hope its ok to offer to hire someone!)

Everyone's tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Configuring of RV042 VPN

Mike,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing these issues and even more sorry to tell you that you are having problems with Cisco VPN client 5.x because the RV042 does not support this VPN client. Cisco VPN client is an Enterprise level software utility that uses IPsec protocols to connect. What you should be using is Cisco Quick VPN. Cisco VPN client authenticates in 2 phases while the RV042 and Cisco Qvpn authenticates in 1 phase. The router simply doesn't understand how to handle the connections coming in from the Cisco VPN client. I have include a link to the Cisco Qvpn utility below. Hope this helps

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=282414010&softwareid=282465795&release=1.4.2.1&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

Blake Wright

Cisco SBSC Network Engineer

3 REPLIES

Configuring of RV042 VPN

Mike,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing these issues and even more sorry to tell you that you are having problems with Cisco VPN client 5.x because the RV042 does not support this VPN client. Cisco VPN client is an Enterprise level software utility that uses IPsec protocols to connect. What you should be using is Cisco Quick VPN. Cisco VPN client authenticates in 2 phases while the RV042 and Cisco Qvpn authenticates in 1 phase. The router simply doesn't understand how to handle the connections coming in from the Cisco VPN client. I have include a link to the Cisco Qvpn utility below. Hope this helps

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=282414010&softwareid=282465795&release=1.4.2.1&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

Blake Wright

Cisco SBSC Network Engineer

Configuring of RV042 VPN

Thanks Blake, I have used the link and changed to the correct VPN software.  I have called into to Cisco, and they did a web session to set the configuration correctly.  Simple setting changes.  Would still be interested in finding an expert to help with configuration and maintenance as it seems difficult to find local support that is knowledgeable.

Bronze

Configuring of RV042 VPN

Mike,

To find a local Partner you can use this URL.

http://tools.cisco.com/WWChannels/LOCATR/openBasicSearch.do

Cisco Small Business Support Center

Randy Manthey

CCNA, CCNA - Security

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content