cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connect 2 RV082 routers

Jason Kuhn
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 seperate networks that were both built independantly with RV082 routers.  These networks now have a physical connection between the two of them and i would like to bridge the networks.

NETWORK1

WAN1:           Static IP internet connection

LAN:              192.168.0.1

SUBNET:        255.255.255.0

Firewall:          Block WAN requests disabled

NETWORK2

WAN1:          Dynamic IP internet connection

LAN:             192.168.10.1

SUBNET        255.255.255.0

Firewall:         Block WAN requests disabled

My first thought was to just plug the routers into each other's WAN2 connection, set static IP's, adjust the subnet mask for the third octet on each and it would just magically work.  I also attempted to use the almost completely undocumented "Transparent Bridge Mode" because it seemed appropriate but so far nothing has worked.  Any suggestions on making this work?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Make sure the router is running in Load Balance mode, where both WAN ports are active.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Te-Kai Liu
Level 7
Level 7

One easy way to connect the two subnets is to configure a site-to-site tunnel between the two WAN2 ports of the two RV082 routers.

i agree, but dont the routers need to be able to ping each other on the WAN2 ports before i create a VPN connection?  I did attempt a VPN connection but since they dont communicate with eachother yet it never connected.  On a side note i was able to make a gateway to gateway VPN across the internet but i would like it to run across the much faster physical connection.

You could try the following.

Static IP for WAN2 of router-1

IP Address: 192.168.20.1

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.20.2

Static IP for WAN2 of router-2

IP Address: 192.168.20.2

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.20.1

Make sure the router is running in Load Balance mode, where both WAN ports are active.

THAT sir, was the key.  I had already tried using static IP's using eachother as a gateway like you suggested but it didnt work until i made the change to load balance mode.  I was able to make a gateway to gateway VPN and now have a 100mb link between the two sites.  Thank you Tekliu

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: