cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting RV325 to RV180W via site-to-site tunnel

paulostrander
Level 1
Level 1

Trying to set up my first VPN tunnel with an RV325 and RV180.  The tunnel is setup and connected.  RV325 is setup as 10.0.1.1, the RV180is setup as 10.0.2.2

From the 10.0.1.X side, I can ping a copier on the 10.0.2.X network.

From the 10.0.2.x side, I can NOT get a response from the 10.0.1.X network.  As far as I get is being able to ping the router, 10.0.1.1.

I can RDP into a machine through the tunnel to the 10.0.2.X network.  Works great.

DNS servers are on the 10.0.1.X network.  10.0.2.X computers can't ping the DNS servers on the 10.0.1.X network - no response.

I'm guessing it's a firewall setting or a need for a static route.  But I thought the tunnel set up the route for 10.0.1.x traffic to 10.0.2.x to use the tunnel and vise versa.

Main domain is on the 10.0.1.X network.  Need the 10.0.2.x to gain network access to shares, DNS, etc.  Might even be a windows firewall issue not wanting to respond to an IP out of the subnet - that's why i'm troubleshooting pinging the copier, there isn't a firewall on those devices.

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

can you do this between two windows machine, one on each side?  First disable both their firewalls to make sure ICMP is allowed, try pinging the devices between each other

This is just to verify connectivity
PS: Can you doublecheck if the copier/printer on 10.0.1.20  has a gateway

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

LJ Gabrillo
Level 5
Level 5

So basically, you can ping the LAN side of the other peer just fine? 
Make sure whatever device you pinging (im guessing a windows PC) on the 10.0.1.X network allows ICMP.

I'd recommend temporarily disabling the firewall on the device your are pinging :)

I'm trying to ping a copier on both sides.  I'm able to ping the copier at 10.0.2.20 from the 10.0.1.x side.  But not able to ping a copier on 10.0.1.20 from the 10.0.2.x side.

I'd like to verify that the tunnel works - getting pings through, then hassle with getting the machines to talk to each other being on a different subnet.

can you do this between two windows machine, one on each side?  First disable both their firewalls to make sure ICMP is allowed, try pinging the devices between each other

This is just to verify connectivity
PS: Can you doublecheck if the copier/printer on 10.0.1.20  has a gateway

Checked copier.  It had the old gateway address.  Corrected and now I'm receiving pings from the router. 

Going to go through the network and update all of my static IP's with the new gateway on the 10.0.1.x network.

Makes sense as the 10.0.2.x network didn't change anything.  But I added the new RV325 on the 10.0.1.x network, not replacing the existing gateway, just started porting over the functionality.

Will let you know.  Thanks so far!

That's all it was.  It was lingering old gateway information. 

Thank you for your help!

Awesome!
Good to know