cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Content Filtering by Category and Router Sizing RV042G vs. ISA570

CapnSunshine
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I'm helping a business set up a remote office, currently with about 45 PC's that could grow in the future.

They are looking at a RV042G or (for long term future growth) a ISA570.

They want to be able to do content filtering by category, ie restrict gambling, drugs, etc. sites

rather than by URL or addresses.

Is either the RV042G or the ISA570 capable of doing this?

Are both routers to be available long term?  ie, they are not on any end-of lists?  I've looked and did not see them on any.

Is the RV042G capable of handling an office even starting with 45 PC's?  If not, is the 570 a good fit?

Any other reason to take one over the other?  (I understand that the 570 is higher end with more features, I'm just wanting

to be able to justify the additional costs to the office).

TIA, appreciate the advice.

Jim

5 Replies 5

Te-Kai Liu
Level 7
Level 7

RV042G currently does not support URL filtering by category.

Te-Kai Lui, thank you for your reply.

Can anyone provide any answers to the remaining questions?

ISA550 or ISA570 should be able to meet your requirement.

Hi Jim, thank you for using our forum, my name is Johnnatan I am part of the Small business Support community. The ISA570 is a new device, able to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference when the equipment is operated in a commercial environment. You can see more information regarding filtering here, in Configuring Content Filtering to Control Internet Access section.

“Please rate useful post so other users can benefit from it”

Greetings, 
Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda.
Cisco Network Support Engineer.

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it” Greetings, Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda. Cisco Network Support Engineer.

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

While the rv042 can't necessary filter by category, it can filter by keyword, which may actually be better.  Categories depend on some third party doing the categorization.  This is a reactive approach that will always have you a bit behind the newest ways to thwart secruity.

But with keywords, just drop in the keyword and the router stops the site.  End of story.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: