Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

DNS Question on RV320

I want to use the local DNS on RV320 for the internal network.  I would like to know the difference between the "DNS Proxy" and "Use this DNS" based on how it queries the local db.  Does the proxy just look at the local and if it doesn't find an entry, it then goes to the DNS listed in the LAN setup?  If I "Use this server" and enter the address of the VLAN,  what does it do when it can't find the entry locally?  Does the local DNS cache data from other DNS servers? 

Thanks

1 REPLY

DNS Question on RV320

the dns proxy will cache requests for names and respond locally if they are cached.

if it doesn't find an entry it goes to the dns configured on the WAN port.

If you are using a dns (say MS SBServer) on the LAN side, you would point your clients to the local SBS server, then point the SBS resolver in the dns server to the router.

Dan

From the admin guide p51

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/routers/csbr/rv320/administration/guide/en/rv32x_ag_en.pdf

Domain Name Service (DNS) matches a domain name to its routable IP address.

You can set up a DNS Local Database that enables the device to act as a local DNS

server for commonly used domain names. Using a local database might be faster

than using an external DNS server. If a requested domain name is not found in the

local database, the request is forwarded to the DNS server that is specified on the

Setup Network

> WAN Setting page.

If you enable this feature, you also must configure the client devices to use the

device as the DNS server. By default, Windows computers are set to obtain a DNS

server address automatically from the default gateway.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content