cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DNS (?) timeouts in RV082 ...

Rob.Allegar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi - I have an RV082 (running  2.0.0.19-tm) set up as the gateway to the Internet on my home LAN, and  connect to it through several switches / hubs around my house.   Randomly, and from various connections around the house (which are all  plugged in to different ports of the RV082), a Web request will fail to  load, giving a "Server not found" error in the browser.

When I look  at the log in the RV082, it says, "Connection Refused: Policy  Violation".

It  seems to be just blocking the DNS requests - everything else appears to  go through normally. For example, I get the message "Looking up  domainname.com" in the  bottom corner of the browser and the request  fails, displaying the Mozilla "Server not found" error page.  When I  click the "Try Again" button the page, it goes through just fine and  everything  works.

I don't have any services running behind the firewall, and  do not use the VPN settings. Here are my current firewall settings:

Firewall                     :
Enable
Disable
SPI                    (Stateful  Packet Inspection) :
Enable
Disable
DoS                     (Denial of Service) :
Enable
Disable
Block WAN Request :
Enable
Disable
Remote Management :
Enable
DisablePort:                                                  
HTTPS :
Enable
Disable
Multicast Pass Through :
Enable
Disable

Things I've tried:

• Hard  reset - there doesn't seem to be a correlation between uptime and the  error. It happens sometimes right after a hard reset, and after a month  of uptime.
  • Turning off DoS setting - I found a random post  that suggested a Gigabit switch sending data to the  RV082 might trigger  the DoS firewall setting. But I've tried disabling  it and the error  still occurs.
  • Different DNS servers - I've switched from from  OpenDNS to Google's DNS to now using the DNS servers that Google's  Namebench suggested (which I think are owned by Verizon).
  • Different  ports - My house is wired, so I've tried switching between several  ports on the RV082 to see if the error goes away, but it never does.
  • Different  cables - Since my house is wired, I figured maybe the wires in the  walls were bad somehow. So I tried various cables plugged directly in to  the RV082's ports, and still get the error.  The cables were tested  with a cable tester.
  • Upgrading firmware - I'm using the  latest firmware, but was experiencing the error on previous firmware too  (not sure which version was "previous" for me.)
  • Different  computers / OSs - The issue happens on my Windows 7 computer and my  Windows XP computer.

Any ideas?

- Rob

16 Replies 16

jasbryan
Level 6
Level 6

Never see this issue before, but i noticed that you said you had a few hubs around the house.Is the computers that are having the issue plugged into the hub ? If you do still have hub's i would recommend replacing with a switch. Seeing as hub will create more collision domains when a switch will not. I need a network topology to futher see the issue any issue that you have. Did you make any changes under the firewall rule/access rules? This is where a policy would be rejected

"Connection Refused: Policy  Violation".

Do you have DHCP server or is the router doing DHCP ?

Do you have any static ip address on your network ?

It can be a number of things wrong but the diagram you displayed below shouldn't cause the error you are having!

Please give more information about your network and settings or you can give us a call at 1-866-606-1866

Thanks,

Jason

rebair
Level 1
Level 1

Rob,

I've seen the exact problem with our router.Did you ever get a resolution?

Our DHCP is handled by the router and there are a few other static IPs in the network, but I don't believe that should be causing any issues.

Smartersys
Level 1
Level 1

I've been experiencing this as well, did you by chance ever find a resolution?

jrpickering
Level 1
Level 1

I have the exact same problem, seems the firewall is blocking some DNS responses.  Really need a fix cisco!

rebair
Level 1
Level 1

Not that this a great solution, but disablng the DoS feature has seemed to improve things somewhat for me.

Thanks I'll give it a shot.

netpathinc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Rob and Russ

I started having the same problems after upgrading the firmware to v2.0.2.01 from a very old v1.x release.  I had to do the firmware upgrade to get uPnP working correctly. My RV082 is not one of the newer V3 models and I can't run the v4.x firmware.  I'm ready to give up on the RV082.

Following Russ's advice I disabled the DoS feature and also manually set the DNS servers on WAN1 to Google's DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).  This seems to have helped but there are still timeouts and slowdowns.

Thanks,

Sheldon

Hi All,

We are also having the same problem - like Sheldon we are running 2.0.2.01 but that firmware upgrade was actually done in hope of fixing the problem.  What we've noticed is that the problem persists only when we have both WANs active - physically unplug one and the problem disappears.  In addition, we have several IP phones and a credit card terminal connected - those have static IPs with all traffic being routed though a particular WAN port - they never blink.

Additionally, we've manually set the WANs' DNS servers to OpenDNS (both WANs and the DHCP).  That fix is only temporary though - after a while the office begins intermittently losing DNS again and a router reboot is required.

We bought the router new just a month ago, but it's the old v2.

Hi Michael

See also

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2022782

We are running only one WAN connection and the problem seems to be isolated to our Mac computers.  Browser will timeout on MAC/OSX but work with the same URL on the same computer running Windows in a VM.

- Sheldon

Hi All,

I have an RV082 that has been up and running for a while; haven't noticed any issue regarding DNS? I check and verify that i was running 2.0.0.19 so i upgraded to 2.0.2.1. The RV082 is our gateway of about 100 devices in which only 4 to 5 device are Mac users. I haven't had anyone complain since i upgraded. Does this seem to be isolated just to MAC users?

Jasbryan

I recently upgraded mine to 2.0.2.01-tm from 2.0.0.19-tm. I had the exact same problem before and still have it now. My RV082 does DNS using OpenDNS. Their stats for my IP look pretty resonable. I am not presently using WAN2 and have just now disabled it (in "Port Management" settings). I attribute part of the problem to ads, loading via ad servers, 3rd party cookie blocking and my crude way of ad blocking. As for the "other part" I hope to find more answers here.

Andreas,

When you say RV082 does DNS using OpenDns please explain. Normally running ad server which relies heavily on DNS i take it you have a local DNS server? If you're using a local DNS server then i would have my forwarders send my dns queries to Opendns server not the RV082. The RV082 isn't a dns server so the only thing it will do is forwards those request to it's WAN DNS servers(which just another process thats isn't needed). When using ad/dns the rv082 should never had to forward those queries.

Jasbryan

Jasbryan,

This is home office. My real and virtual Windows and Linuses all use DHCP or gateway 192.168.x.1, the RV082, which is also the IP of the default/dynamic DNS server. I use the RV082 as a local DNS server ("DNS Local Database") and server of pseudo-static IP addresses! Yes, RV082 passes the requests to OpenDNS.com, the world's greatest DNS server. Granted, I could hardcode the OpenDNS IP addresses on all NICs. Why bother? I have no DNS or RV082 bottlenecks. Besides, I love the pseudo-static IP address feature.

Sorry, your "ad server" confusion / misunderstanding stems from my ennumeration "loading via ad servers", meaning jewels like this URL:

http://ad.ca.doubleclick.net/click%3Bh%...%7Esscs%3D%3fhttp://www.website.com/THEpageIwaitFor.htm

Hope that clarifies it and invites others to comment how thay made this problem go away.

Andreas

No worries,

yes open dns is great, i use them myself. Now you can add the static dns settings (opendns servers) under DHCP tab. You should see the ability to add up to 3 static dns servers. Since the RV04x isn't a dns server i would static add dns options here.

Jasbryan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: