cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DNS (?) timeouts in RV082 ...

Rob.Allegar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi - I have an RV082 (running  2.0.0.19-tm) set up as the gateway to the Internet on my home LAN, and  connect to it through several switches / hubs around my house.   Randomly, and from various connections around the house (which are all  plugged in to different ports of the RV082), a Web request will fail to  load, giving a "Server not found" error in the browser.

When I look  at the log in the RV082, it says, "Connection Refused: Policy  Violation".

It  seems to be just blocking the DNS requests - everything else appears to  go through normally. For example, I get the message "Looking up  domainname.com" in the  bottom corner of the browser and the request  fails, displaying the Mozilla "Server not found" error page.  When I  click the "Try Again" button the page, it goes through just fine and  everything  works.

I don't have any services running behind the firewall, and  do not use the VPN settings. Here are my current firewall settings:

Firewall                     :
Enable
Disable
SPI                    (Stateful  Packet Inspection) :
Enable
Disable
DoS                     (Denial of Service) :
Enable
Disable
Block WAN Request :
Enable
Disable
Remote Management :
Enable
DisablePort:                                                  
HTTPS :
Enable
Disable
Multicast Pass Through :
Enable
Disable

Things I've tried:

• Hard  reset - there doesn't seem to be a correlation between uptime and the  error. It happens sometimes right after a hard reset, and after a month  of uptime.
  • Turning off DoS setting - I found a random post  that suggested a Gigabit switch sending data to the  RV082 might trigger  the DoS firewall setting. But I've tried disabling  it and the error  still occurs.
  • Different DNS servers - I've switched from from  OpenDNS to Google's DNS to now using the DNS servers that Google's  Namebench suggested (which I think are owned by Verizon).
  • Different  ports - My house is wired, so I've tried switching between several  ports on the RV082 to see if the error goes away, but it never does.
  • Different  cables - Since my house is wired, I figured maybe the wires in the  walls were bad somehow. So I tried various cables plugged directly in to  the RV082's ports, and still get the error.  The cables were tested  with a cable tester.
  • Upgrading firmware - I'm using the  latest firmware, but was experiencing the error on previous firmware too  (not sure which version was "previous" for me.)
  • Different  computers / OSs - The issue happens on my Windows 7 computer and my  Windows XP computer.

Any ideas?

- Rob

16 Replies 16

martin.ecker
Level 1
Level 1

Has there been a solution for this problem meanwhile?

I also run a RV082 with 2.0.2.01 and the same Problem.

Martin

Prior to 2.0.2.01 it worked. Now it's BROKEN !!  And this is how:

The RV082 local DNS "database" / list, if active, was ALWAYS searched first before the lookup request was sent to the DNS server for WAN1 / WAN2, who's IP addresses I supplied on  the RV082 Setup panel.

The BUG is readily circumventable. To make it work as before you now must specify *maually* a static *DDNS* IPaddress for all (dynamic ip) guest adapters, e.g. 192.168.2.1, the ipaddr of the RV082. If you don't then the RV082 will supply the ipaddress of the external DNS service provider (WAN1/WAN2 Setup) AND thus the RV082 local DNS is bypassed, ignored.

I really wish that CISCO would fix this !!