Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EasyVPN on RV320 + SSL-VPN + Mac IPSec

I just bought a Cisco RV320, and am trying to get it configured for providing VPN connectivity

Starting with the EasyVPN I have setup a full tunnel using the defaults, and it shows it created to the ip address 192.168.168.0/24 - which makes sense to me as that is the local LAN the device is connected to.

When I go the "Summary" page, it shows the Virtual IP Range as 172.16.100.100-100.129.

I've installed the EasyVPN client on my target (Windows) machine, I get a connect, and I am tunnelled through the VPN, I can get out to the internet, but I have no access to the 192.168.168.0/24 network which is the desired local LAN I want to connect to.

It would appear that I am missing a route from the virtual 172.16.100.0 network to the local LAN.  Any suggestions on how to resolve this?

As a backup, I tried setting up the SSL-VPN, and while I authenticate and connect, every time I try to launch the VirtualPassage get an error that the "Port is in use", and the adapter fails to install.

I also have a Mac that I want to use with this device.  The CD came with a client - vpnclient-darwin-4.9.01.0280-universal-k9.dmg - which installs, but gives an error saying it cannot talk to the VPN subsystem.

Is an EasyVPN an actual IPSec VPN, and will the native Mac Cisco IPSec VPN work as a client?

My priorities are:

1.  Get the EasyVPN working in full tunnel mode on my Win-7 x32, and be able to connect to the target 192.168.168.0 network.

2.  Get the VPN going on my Macbook (running Mavericks)

3.  Get the SSL VPN working.

If anyone can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated.

One last question - the RV320 also allows the creation of a "Group VPN".  What is the difference between it and the EasyVPN?  It looks pretty similar except for the "Remote Client Domain Name" which can't be left empty.  The remote client will be multiple laptops: what would one put for a Domain Name?

The EasyVPN is just that, but if I want a real IPSec VPN with a "shared secret", and be compatible with the Mac, what is the best way to configure the RV320?

As an aside, I know the Mac Cisco IPSec client works as I use it to connect to my work VPN which is an enterprise level ASA device.

Thanks for any help you can give.

3 Replies 3

borisdecout
Level 1
Level 1

The short answer is , get rid of the RV320 and get a different router.

The RV320 VPN is buggy and Cisco apparently couldn't care less since the last firmware was released over 7 month ago.

I haven't been able to get mine to work consistently and found out that I'm not alone after searching the web for an answer.

You could give PPTP a try if you are not too concerned about security.

Good luck.

I second this.  Lack of updates and broken features mean that this is probably my last Cisco Small Business router.

Aleksandra Dargiel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Robert,

I can see that there are many things happening at the same time.

We might need to work on each singe problem separately thus I would suggest you to open support ticket by contacting our Small Business support team:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

Regards,

Aleksandra