cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Failed to get IP address from RV180W

sumeengyeo
Level 1
Level 1

I have setup an RV180W (Firmware Version 1.0.3.10) for my client, the wireless client always cannot get the IP address from the router after router reboot. I have to manual change any setting inside the router and click save as a workaround solution. Do you have new firmware?

8 Replies 8

lariasqu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Su, thank you for using our forum, my name is Luis I am part of the Small business Support community. Is the RV180W the DHCP server? How many Vlans and SSIDs did you configure? Please check the Vlan configuration as well.

I hope you find this answer useful

Greetings,

Luis Arias.

Cisco Network Support Engineer.

Hi Luis,

there is only vlan and one SSID ony, i am very sure it is a bug in the router.

Regards,

Yeo

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

Have you tried releasing and renewing the IP from the client?

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

Hi Samir,

Yes, I did try to renew IP and even reboot the clients. It will not work until I change any setting and click
"save" button in the router.

Hello Su,

Here is the release note with the known bugs in firmware 1.0.3.10

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/csbr/rv180w/release_notes/rv180w_rn_1-0-3-10.pdf

But could be also bug in the config. It's sounds like when you reboot it has one configuration where the users does not receive an IP for some reason and after you make changes on the config and save it - the users receive an IP.

It is actually possible to happen if the device was configured and after that there were firmware upgrade, for example.

If you haven't try yet, you can do factory reset and reconfigure the deivce manually.

Regards,

Kremena

HI Kremena,

My router has upgraded to 1.0.3.10 in fact.

I will try to do factory reset to test it.

Can I backup and restore the config after factory reset?

regards,

Yeo

Hi Yeo,

If the problem is coming from the configuration file itself, most likely to restore the backup file, will not resolve it.

The most clean is to configure the device manually.

If you want to try with a backup, than i would advise after the factory reset, configure only the wireless. Reboot the router and see if the problem will appear, if not than it means that the config file bugged after the upgrade. From here on you can test to upload the backup config. If it works, great, but if not you have to do a second factory reset and manual configuraion.

But in case you do a factory reset and with the default configuration, only with the wireless configured (without restauring the backup), you still have the problem, I think it's better to contact us by phone, so we can see what else can be done.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

Regards,

Kremena

Definitely not working as it should!  Have any of the other suggestions fixed the issue?