Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Frame-Relay

If I have Head office in India and four Branch office located in Bangladesh,Srilanka,Pakistan,Singapore, and I wanted to connect them using Frame-Relay. If I connect the Head office to an Indian ISP then how can the Branch offices will connect the ISP and if they connect to a different ISP then how the communication will happen.

7 Replies 7

chinmoy.boruah1
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Sumit,

Configuring BGP you could achieve it.

Regards
Chinmoy

LJ Gabrillo
Level 5
Level 5

Wow, if you want frame-relay with that then you need to negotiate that with your ISP. This could get expensive since your ISP in india will negotiate with other ISPs on your other branches.

Most likely, they wont give you a frame-relay connection since that is very impractical. 

Erico Verissimo
Level 1
Level 1

Sumit,

Currently here in brazil this topology have been changed to MPLS cloud. Switch Frame Relay topology in some year ago was large used here. There are some devices that provide this service yet but the ISP do not sale this service. Here it is a legacy.

This communication will happen by a large switch frame relay network which are connected through ATM devices with high bandwidth. Connections frame relay reach a limit of 1984Kbps.

regards

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Normally, different (private) frame-relay providers don't interconnect their private networks, but I believe it's technically possible.  If they do interconnect, ideally you would have a frame-relay PVC that interconnects your HO and branches, even if it crosses different providers.

An alternative would be to use I(nternet)SP connections at each location.  (This could also be a frame-relay hand-off, although that's a bit unusual for Internet.)  Then you can intercommunicate between your locations generally regardless of which ISP is servicing which location.

Yeap, this is possible, one of our clients have a Private MPLS connection from <Country 1> to <Country 2>. Then again, you should coordinate with your ISP, let the ISP do the rest

pdub206
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sumit,

I understand you want to use a frame relay connection between head office and remote branch offices.  This is a "hub and spoke" topology.  Other posters have made good replies.  I do not think that two ISP's will share a frame relay network, so this may not be possible.

You may also try a simple ISP internet circuit at each site, and set up IPSec site to site tunnels.  This way you could retain your "hub and spoke" topology while also maintaining security while over the internet.

Throwing packets since 2012

You need to find an Indian SP that will arrange  your International connections, many SPs do this as there is a lot of corporate International traffic.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: