cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Gateway to gateway connection established. Now what?

CCSRandyGoff
Level 1
Level 1

I'm a rookie and I have a tunnel established. What do I do next for actually having access from the remote end to files on the local LAN?

5 Replies 5

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Randall,

Thank you for posting. In Windows, go to Start-> Run and type \\192.168.2.101 (This is an example, use an actual LAN address) You should see a list of shares on that PC.

What routers are you using?

Thank you for the response mpyhala.  I do see the shares when I use the IP address of the server.  I am on the local (main office) end of the tunnel.   The same technique does not work from the remote end.  I can ping the server but I do not have access to it from Windows Explorer.  I believe it is a simple task that I need to do but I have never set up a VPN before.

Dear Randall ,

Can you please update us with more details , ;ike the following Info :

- Network Topology on both End ( Brief Description )

- IP Subnets used on both Ends

Regards

M.Tag

Mohamed,

1. I have at the local office:  A Netopia DSL router/modem (AT&T) in full bridge mode with static IP. A Cisco RV042 (IPV4 = 192.168.1.3) with DHCP for the office.    A Buffalo TS_XL Terastation (192.168.1.2) network attached storage unit holds our critical data.
  2. I have at the remote office:  A (???) cable router/modem (Cox) in full bridge mode with static IP. A Cisco RV042 (IPV4 = 192.168.2.1) with DHCP for the office.   The gateway to gateway tunnel is functioning properly.  At the remote office, I do not have access to the data on the Terastation.  I can ping it, but it does not show up as drive in my explorer window.

I believe it is a simple task that I need to do but I have never set up a VPN before.

DearRandall ,

I assume that the TeraStation is configured with an IP Address from you  the Local Office Range 192.168.1.X / 255.255.255.0. Lets first make sure that Such Problem is Only related to the TeraStation Not a Global Problem between the 2 Sites. Can you create a Shared Folder on any Workstation / PC / Laptop on the Local Office ( 192.168.1.x ) -  other that the TerStartion - and try to open this Shared folder from the Remote Office using the IP Address of the Test workstation / pc / laptop ( Example : //192.168.1.10 ). Of course, make sure that the Test workstation/pc/laptop used in the Local Office has no Firewall / AntiVirus / Security Program that might prevent the SHared Folder Access.

Keep us updated with the Test Result

M.Tag

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: