Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Help me to find a Cisco VPN router

Hello,

I recently bought a TP-LINK router in order to set up a local network connected to a foreign VPN server (which is supporting MS-CHAP v2 protocol).
I configured my router the following way: on the “WAN” screen of the menu « Network », I selected the “L2TP” option, introduced my username and my password, then selected the “Dynamic IP” option and finally introduced the VPN server e-mail address.
It worked but not perfectly: it was possible to access some web sites through the VPN server but with some other web sites it didn’t work. For these web sites, it is necessary to use a "Secret” code (I successfully accessed these web sites using my iPad with such a “Secret” code). Unfortunately it is not possible to introduce such a code in my router.
I am now trying to find a router that allows the introduction of such a “Secret” code. I found routers with the possibility of introducing a “Secret” code but with “Static IP” instead of “Dynamic IP” but I found none with the possibility of introducing a “Secret” code with “dynamic IP”.

Do you know of a Cisco router - reasonably priced - which could solve my problem? Thank you for the help.

Best regards,

Jacques.

• Small Business Routers
5 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Jacques,To ensure I

Jacques,

To ensure I understand exactly what you are asking for, I would like to ask you a couple of questions please.

Are you looking to have the router act as a client to the remote VPN server or site-to-site?

Since you mentioned trying to add all the credentials and information to the WAN interface, it appears to be a client setup. I am setting up some routers in the lab to validate my findings. I would just like some clarification. Our routers do have the ability to allow for L2TP, PPTP, and IPSEC passthrough if the credentials could be applied to the clients. I look forward to your response so I can answer as accurate as possible. Meanwhile see below:

WAN Interface Configurable as: 
Rtr ModelPPTP ClientL2TP Client 
RV110YY**username and password, no secret option
RV120YYSecret option is available for L2TP
RV130YY**username and password, no secret option
RV180YYSecret option is available for L2TP
RV215YY**username and password, no secret option
RV220YYSecret option is available for L2TP
RV315NY**

**username and password, no secret option, created as a subinterface

and requires VLAN ID

RV320YNL2TP Passthrough
RV325YN*L2TP Passthrough

Thank you Max for your reply

Thank you Max for your reply.

You are right: I am trying to connect as a client.

For this connection, I have a username and a password, an e-mail address for the VPN server and a "secret" code. 

The VPN server is using L2TP and MS-CHAP v2.

Let me know if you need additional information.

Best regards,

Jacques.

Cisco Employee

Jacques,I attempted your

Jacques,

I attempted your setup in the lab for the RV120, RV180, and RV220 routers. These are the models that have the capability to configure for L2TP with the secret code requirement. When selecting L2TP as the Internet Connection Type, none have the ability for “Dynamic IP” as option. Each requires the IP address to be entered in the dotted decimal format (XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX). PPTP gives that option via drop down menu, but not L2TP. I set the routers up with dynamic DNS as well, but the configuration parameters still required and IP address entry and did not change when set up with DDNS. You could go forward with the configuration by entering the IP address assisgned to the before setting to L2TP, but would require manual intervention if the WAN’s lease expires and the address changed. I hope this answers your question. Hopefully you could request a static IP address from your ISP and this would become a non-issue. Let me know if I could be of further assistance.

Thank you Max.I have just got

Thank you Max.

I have just got from the provider of the VPN server, several IP addresses that can be used.

If I understand well, the solution for me is to use one Cisco router amongst RV120, RV180 or RV220, and fill the "Server IP Address" box with one of the IP addresses provided, and the "My IP Address" box with  0.0.0.0. Can you confirm the last point?

I have two other questions: what is the difference between RV120 and RV120W models? What is the right reference for Europe RV120-E-G5 or something different?

Cisco Employee

Hi Jacques,Not quite. As I am

Hi Jacques,

Not quite. As I am a visual guy, hopefully this will clarify matters. Please see figure 1 below for RVxxx router config for L2TP on the WAN interface.

I don't believe the IP addresses given by the remote VPN server provider will work unless it is the ISP itself and will be the gateway for you.

Configuring "My IP Address as 0.0.0.0 will not work either. This is where a static IP address from the Local ISP would be applied. Please see Figure 2.

If the L2TP server is in this scenario, the IP addresses given by the L2TP VPN server provider will not work for you because they are from ISP#1 not from ISP#2.

If the L2TP server is actually the gateway for ISP#2, the IP addresses would work.

Answers for the other questions:

1. The "W" at the end of the model series indicates that the device has wireless capability for the LAN side.

2. The SKU for the RV120 is correct. If this is for Europe, the RV220 is not an option. You will have to choose from the RV120 or RV180.

RV120W-E-G5 (Europe)

RV180W-E-K9-G5 (Europe)

RV220W-A-K9-NA (USA)

I hope this paints a better picture for you. 

Regards,

Max Jelon Harbin

Views
Helpful
Replies