cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to configure a RV220W in normal routing mode (No NAT)

grijspetje
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have been very busy the last few days in trying to configure this router in normal routing mode. I do not want to have double NAT in my network. This is my setup:

C class IP network connected to the internet via a Fritzbox router. I need this router becasue of the VOIP services it provides. I want to use the RV220W to isolate certain users from the rest of the network. When I configure the router in WAN (NAT) it partially works, e.g. I can browse, send email but cant make a connection to a apple fileserver which is on the base network. When I try to operate in normal routing mode I cant get it to work. I am sure I am doing something wrong with the static routes. 

Setup: 

Internet <-> Fritzbox (192.168.12.0/24) network <-> RV220W <-> LAN 1 (192.168.1.0/24) users to be isolated.

On the 192.168.12..0/24 network the printer, fileserver and PBX are connected. 

Please help me in configuring this.

The firmware is the latest 1.0.5.8.

Thanks in advance!

Peter

2 Replies 2

grijspetje
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone?

Hello Peter,

Sorry for the late reply, but I figured I would post anyone in case anyone else has this question.

You can put the router in what is called router mode by logging into the admin page and going to Networking >> Routing >> Routing Mode and selecting Router.  

I am only looking at an emulator, but I believe this will cause a reboot.  Once in router mode NAT and the firewall are disabled, however access rules do still work.  

You will still need a static route from your Fritzbox to the 192.168.1.0/24 network on the RV220W, and the RV220W should have the Fritzbox as it's default gateway on it's WAN interface.  You may also need to create an ACL to allow traffic from the Fritzbox network through the RV's WAN port.

Some Apple devices depend on the Bonjour protocol to work properly, which doesn't always traverse subnets well, so if after all of that it still doesn't work you may have an issue with Apple.

Thank you for choosing Cisco,

Christopher Ebert

---

Network Support Engineer - Cisco Small Business Support Center

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: