cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to determine network issue?

ClubChapin
Level 1
Level 1

I have an older RV016 that I just upgraded to the 3.0.2.01 firmware in the hopes it would fix my issue.  It did not.

I have several devices, that when plugged into the switch slow my network performance.  If I disable the ports these are on, performance resumes to normal speeds.

With these device ports disabled, I get around 20Mb/s.  With these devices connected, I get less than 1Mb/s, as measured by speedtest.net.  The speed change is instantaneous when enabling or disabling these devices. 

They are fairly common devices:

Global Cache GC-100

Phillips Pronto RFX9600

Toshiba HD XA2

Linksys PPSX1 ver. 2

All other devices I have used so far work fine.  If I move ports, the issue follows the device, not the port.

How do I determine what is causing the slowdown?  Is there anything I can do to correct this?

Thanks in advance, Pete

1 Reply 1

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

When you said "plugged into the switch" what type of switch are you referring too, or do you mean the RV016? Also have you tried turning the ports on one at a time to see if one is more a culprit than another.

One thing I would definitely do is run a wireshark analysis on the network with the ports off and then run it against each port to see what type of traffic you get out of each port as it comes up.

Please feel free to call into the Small Business Support Center and speak with one of the engineers who can help you with this.

Thanks

Eric Moyers

Cisco Network Support Engineer

SBSC Wireless and Surveillance SME

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

1-866-606-1866