cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to get 60mb from a Charter Modem?

1900montford
Level 1
Level 1

I recently upgraded my Charter internet from 30 mb to 60 mb. If I do a speedtest.net test directly connected to the modem, I get 60 mb+. If I am connected to my WRSV4400N router, I only get 25-27 mb, the same speed I used to get with the 30 mb connection.

Is there a configuration parameter to set to run at the speed of the modem?

Thanks,

Ron Carlson

2 Replies 2

1900montford
Level 1
Level 1

I fixed the problem by turning off IPS (Intrusion Prevention System). With it set to off I successfully get 64-65 mb on speedtest.net, thanks to a posting on this forum!

yes, you "Fixed it" but by turning off IPS, you may need more work to maintain the same level of security, anything you "turn on" will slow the total throughput as the processing is increased, if it was necessary to disable this, it may require different hardware to accomplish this securely, there is another post on this issue, and near the end a sales manager talks about it. It looks like the ASA series with the AIP module installed is your best bet currently. here is the thread link

https://communities.cisco.com/thread/2159?tstart=0

and here is the response post that sums it all up... 

https://communities.cisco.com/message/35882#35882

hope this all helps, I use a Cisco 2851XM as my edge router for my home network, and I can pull a 300+ down by 20+ up on a tunneled 6to4 network through the tunnel or not... although, I don't have an AIP module as of yet and the access to the speeds are due to a relatively recent upgrade to DOCSIS3 in the Austin area, I'm pretty sure the speeds they are a coming, and with the speed comes the possibility and likelihood of more attacks for us all...  so, IPS is a good thing.

Seannon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: