cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Reserved for Internal Usage?

malcolmd83
Level 1
Level 1

Perhaps I'm missing something obvious, but what does the following LAN setting in a Router do/refer to?

"IP Reserved for Internal Usage:"

Thanks,

Malcolm

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

The internal IP address is resevred for the integrated access point inside the WRVS4400N.

View solution in original post

From network administration point of view, the wireless access point is integrated with the router, which runs on IP address 192.168.1.1 by default. The reserved IP address, i.e. 192.168.1.2 by default, should not be used by anyone except for the WRVS4400N router itself. This is due to the way the router and access point were developed and integrated historically.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Perhaps I'm missing something obvious, but what does the following LAN setting in a Router do/refer to?

"IP Reserved for Internal Usage:"

Thanks,

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,

Networking address space for the IP protocol is broken into classes — A, B, and C. (There is also Class D for multicasting and Class E for a small set of very reserved,“don't ever touch these” addresses.) In each of the Class A and Class C spaces, there are address ranges reserved for internal, non-Internet use (or a non-Internet routing space for IP traffic). There are two ranges in the Class A space: the 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255 range (also represented as 10.x.x.x) and the 172.0.0.0 to 172.255.255.255 range (172.x.x.x) You may be using one of these spaces in your networks for internal addresses assigned to various hosts (network devices).

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Hi Ganesh, Thanks for the reply and the overview of classes/subnetting.  I've uploaded as screen shot in my reply to another reponse I received, as this setting seems to be on a more granular level than you addressed.  I realize my initial question perhaps wasn't clear enough as to the context of the router menus.

Te-Kai Liu
Level 7
Level 7

Malcolm, could you post a screenshot so we know what the context is?

Thanks for the reply...  Here is a SS showing the setting in question.

The internal IP address is resevred for the integrated access point inside the WRVS4400N.

Does this mean the "access point" (I'm assuming the wireless - with upto 4 SSIDs) is viewed as its own "device" on the network (ie. seperate from the router itself)?

From network administration point of view, the wireless access point is integrated with the router, which runs on IP address 192.168.1.1 by default. The reserved IP address, i.e. 192.168.1.2 by default, should not be used by anyone except for the WRVS4400N router itself. This is due to the way the router and access point were developed and integrated historically.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: