Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Is the RV180 the long awaited replacement for the RVS4000?

I've got a RVS4000 (V1).  It's worked great for years and had many features that I didn't need (ACLs, VLANs and GbE, Jumbo Frames)...until this year.

Unfortunately, I've discovered an issue with the connection tracking for built-in VLAN 1 that breaks the ACLs for VLAN 1.  See my first post for details.

Also, I just upgraded my cable Internet service from 20 Mb/s to 30 Mb/s last week and learned the hard way that the RVS4000 (with IPS on) really does hit the wall at 20 Mb/s.

I've been looking for a replacement and considered the RV220W (I don't need the wireless feature), but the RV220W's does not support VLAN to VLAN ACLs. See posts by others.    A fix may be on the way, but why should I wait?  I looked a Zyxel gateways, but they seem to have a rather limited VLAN implementation.

Now I see something called a RV180.  I thought is was old, but now I learn it's new.   Is it the RVS4000 killer?   Is it better than the RV220?

The RV180 is inexpensive enough such that I just might get one and be an early adopter.  I will download the manual and look it over this week.

2 REPLIES

Kelly,

Here how the models go ,

RV180 is model between the RV120 and RV220 as of features. Yes it should be a good replacement for the RVS4000. Since this device was just release expect Cisco to have some bugs to work out in the beginning.

Jasbryan

Uh-oh! 

Page 77 (Configuring the Firewall) of the RV180 Admin Guide states:

You can secure your network by creating and applying access rules that the

Cisco RV180/RV180W uses to selectively block and allow inbound and outbound

Internet traffic. You then specify how and to what devices the rules apply. You can

configure the following:

• Rules for outbound (from your LAN to the Internet) or inbound (from the

Internet to your LAN) traffic.

Apparently the RV180 suffers from the same flaw as the RV220W, no support for inter-VLAN firewall access rules.

See this post about the RV220W:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2130147

The almost defunct RVS4000 supported inter-VLAN firewall access rules, though somewhat flawed for default VLAN 1, but it was clearly left out of the picture for the next generation devices.    It's amazing that I want to make an RFE (Request For Enhancement) for a device that I have not even purchased yet.

Well, if I do buy the RV180, I get one step closer to having all of the features that I want.  It has a VPN throughput rate of 50 Mb/s, so I doubt that it will limit my cable modem speeds to 20 Mb/s like the RVS4000.

But the RV180 does not have the IPS (Intrusion Protection System) feature.   If I disable  IPS on my RVS4000, then I functionally have the equivalent of an RV180.  Yes, this is true for the features and performance that I want.  For those

that want better VPN performance than the 2Mb/s supported by the RVS4000 and compatibility with newer VPN clients,  go with a RV180 or RV220W.

Views
Helpful
Replies