cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Linksys RVS4000 Router

herbert77060
Level 1
Level 1

I have an RVS4000 router and it worked well with AT&T's DSL service. I installed it, with my limited knowledge, with no problems. I switched my internet service to Logix and the RVS4000 will not see the Logix signal (the internet LED does not light up on the router). I can hook my computer directly to the circuit and put in the IP address and other info and it works fine. I happened to have another Linksys router handy model # BEFVP41 and it works fine. The router sees the signal and I entered the Logix info in the router and I am off to the www. I can plug the RVS4000 back into the DSL modem and it sees the signal and the internet LED lights.

My question is why won't the RVS4000 work with the Logix signal or is there a setting I am missing? I would like to use the RVS4000 since I paid a lot more for it than I did the BEFVP41.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

9 Replies 9

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Hello Herbert,

Thank you for posting. In the RVS4000, browse to Setup-> MAC Address Clone. Clone either the MAC address of the PC or BEFVP41 that connected successfully to the Logix modem. This will "trick" the modem into thinking that the other device is connecting and not the RVS4000. This usually allows a successful connection to the modem.

There is no modem. With Logix (I am in what they call a 'smart building') the circuit goes directly into the internet port on the router.

Herbert,

Somewhere at the end of that ethernet cable there is a device that is friendly with your PC and old router. For some reason it does not want to talk to the RVS4000. If you clone the MAC address of one of those devices, it should start talking to it. Please give it a try and let us know if it works for you.

I saw the cloning section in the router but since the RVS4000 is not hooked up how do I clone the MAC address? Can the info be manually entered?

Herbert,

You can plug the PC that worked into the router and log into the web interface of the RVS4000. Press "Clone my PCs MAC" (or equivalent). The other option is to log into the old router and write down the WAN port MAC address. Then log into the RVS4000 and manually type the MAC address from the old router and save.

Thanks....I will give it a shot.

No go....still no internet led and the staus says, "interface down". When i look at the summary it does not show anything plugged into the WAN port but it shows the port my computer is plugged into.

Herbert,

I would back up the configuration file from the RVS4000 and then set it to factory defaults by holding the reset button for 30 seconds with the device powered on. After it reboots, try to get an IP address on the WAN port. Clone the MAC address of the PC or other router if necessary. If it still fails, try connecting to the DSL line again or plug it into the other router and see if it gets an IP address. This will verify that the WAN port is still functional on the RVS4000.

I have seen a few rare cases where one of our routers refuses to negotiate at all with the modem. In that situation the only resolution is to change the port negotiation settings on the modem, replace the modem or use a different router. (WAN port settings cannot be changed on the RVS4000) Unfortunately from what I understand you do not have access to the "modem". In that case you may need to contact the IT manager of the "Smart Building" for assistance.

Cloning did not work....defaulting did not work...I even tried reversing the polarity on the circuit thinking that polarity might be an issue. No go.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: