Views
Helpful
Replies

Modem status with RV180 and PPPoE?

dbkirkland
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have dsl modem set for bridge, and RV180 set for PPPoE, and I need to be able to access the modem status page. I have not be able to figure out how to do this.

With my old Linksys modem I would just put the following in the firewall script:

iptables -I POSTROUTING -t nat -o vlan1 -d 192.168.0.0/24 -j MASQUERADE

ip addr add 192.168.0.2/24 dev vlan1 brd +

4 Replies 4

jeffrrod
Level 4
Level 4

Dear Dan,

Thank you for reaching Small Business Support Community.

Besides the adding or editing  PPPoE Profile settings available on the RV180 (Networking > WAN > PPPoE Profiles), I see no way to monitor the xDSL modem status from the router.  You can anyways connect a PC to the xDSL modem directly, reboot the modem and then the PC, figure out the default gateway to the modem so you connect via HTTP(S) if that modem is capable on that, I suggest you to contact your ISP to figure that out.

I wish I could be a better help and thank you for your time and patience.

Kind regards,

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:.
Cisco Customer Support Engineer

*Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:. Cisco Customer Support Engineer *Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

I know how to set up both my computer and the router to connect to the modem.  This is NOT the problem. The problem is that when bridging the modem and using PPPoE on the router, there does not seem to be any way to configure the router so it can see the modem anymore.

For example, if I set the modem up for PPPoE, and connect with the RV180 using either DHCP or by setting a static IP. In both cases the RV180 sets up the WAN as eth0.  And I can connect to the modem, see the status, set up SNMP for the modem and such.

But when I set the modem as bridge, set up the RV180 for PPPoE, then the RV180 sets the WAN as ppp1.  And trying to set any static routes using WAN also uses ppp1 (which basicaly means I cannot set any static WAN routes).

One SHOULD be able to set up another WAN interface (eth0) for static routing and use that to connect to the modem set up SNMP and such.  But the RV180 doesn't have a telnet connection, and the https interface is a bit too restrictive and does not allow such.

Dear Dan,

I checked in on your situation. There's not an advanced firwall rule or anything we can put on the router to allow access to the modem. I was checking for a workaround but there is none. Sorry for any inconvenience but the only other way you're going to get by is to give that modem an IP address and not be in bridge mode. Doing this of course can have ramifications on your topology.

It's the router that cant do the advanced PPPoE configuration you're looking for. You can of course check with your ISP to see if you modem has any advanced bridging options or if it would not hender your network to take the modem out of bridge mode.

Thanks,

Nick Yates  .:|:.:|:.

Cisco Small Business Support Engineer

~Nick Cisco Network Support Engineer Please mark answered for helpful posts!

Hi Nicholas,

i have a similar issue with the rv180, i would like to use VLAN 6 for a PPPoE request.

If this is not possible with this product, which entry level router does support this feature, and how is this feature called?