Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Multiple interface or IP's?

Hello,

My knowledge of networking is simply limited to what I have picked up 'along the way', so please bear with me.

I would like to know what is the best option when you need a router with multiple IP addresses (let's say 6). Should you go for a router with 6 interfaces, which you can assign an individual IP to, or a router with 1 or 2 interfaces and assign secondary IP addresses?

My real-life situation is that I have an 1801 router with 9 interfaces. Fe0 is a WAN port which can has an IP assigned to it (it's internet facing). 6 of the other 8 'switch' interfaces are assigned a VLAN each and assigned their own IP.

We have suspicions that this router can not handle the current amount of traffic on our network so I am looking to upgrade it. Should I be looking for a similar router (i.e.: with physical interfaces for each VLAN) or a router (like an 1841) with a single inside interface and just add all the IPs as secondaries?

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

Elliot

1 REPLY

Multiple interface or IP's?

I should add the reason I mentioned the 1841 is that we have one 'spare'. I don't even know if this would be an 'upgrade' to our existing setup. Could anyone comment on this please?

Thanks

Views
Helpful
Replies