Views
Helpful
Replies

Networking problem with a Linksys RV042 VPN Router

vdipietro
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am a computer tech. and I have a client (small company with 3 or 4 computers)

One of the computers in the company is behind a Linksys RV042 (10/100 4-Port VPN Router) wich is connected throught the company's internet service (Bell fiber optics for enterprises)

My problem is that the computer wich is connected behind the Linksys RV042 cannot see the other computers on the network to share files or a printer

My client (company) said that it was working before and that the problem came after they upgraded their internet service to Bell fiber optics

Does anyone know what could be the problem ? Do I have to upgrade the router's firmware ? configure a setting ? change the router completely ? Any help would be appreciated...

NOTE : the other computer's can communicate with each other but they connect to the main router/modem (internet service provider's modem) and the Linksys RV042 connect's as a second router only to one computer (the one that cannot share files or a printer). Also internet work's fine on all computer's

1 Reply 1

Ismael Arroyo
Level 1
Level 1

My name is Ismael . Iam with the Cisco Small Business Support Center. The RV042 connected to the main router/modem (ISP modem), is it receiving a public ip address on the WAN 1? If its not this is an indication that your router/modem combo is not fully bridged. Normally they are not bridged and only pass DHCP private ip addresses to devices connected behind them. Best way to have this setup work for you is to ask your ISP to have the modem fully bridged and then have the WAN receive or add static public ip address on router.

Previous ISP might of had only a modem with no router LAN ports,which most of the time are in full bridge mode.

If WAN already receiving a public ip and modem in bridge mode then make sure your router is on the latest firmware. If after a firmware upgrade you still having issues please open a ticket with SBSC so we can assist you.