cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

No option for my netmask setting

Rhonda233
Level 1
Level 1

I recently switched ISPs and also swapped my older RVS4000 with a new one (same model). When configuring my new RVS4000, the LAN tab does not show the correct setting for my netmask. The drop down menu shows me several options including 255.255.255.0, but my ISP told me to use 255.255.255.252. I have it set on the 255.255.255.0 option and we are functioning, but my server (also my DNS server) keeps recording errors from my workstations that say they are trying to become the master browser. I believe this is because my netmask is wrong, but I'm not sure. My old RVS4000 had an option in the drop down for 255.255.255.252, but this one does not. Do I have a setting wrong somewhere or something? Thanks for any help.

1 Reply 1

David Carr
Level 6
Level 6

Rhonda,

The setting your trying to configure is on the lan side of the router.

What your ISP is wanting you to set is on the wan side of the router.

On the lan side, this is for your private network behind the router and allows you to regulate how many addresses you will support behind it.

Your ISP is wanting you to set the subnet mask on the wan so your router will connect to their network with the specific subnet they have alloted you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: