cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ping through MS-PPTP Tunnel over RV082

it-worker
Level 1
Level 1

I have established a PPTP-Tunnel over RV082 to a MS 2008 Server. IP-Parameters are deployed via RRAS. DNS config is ok.

I can ping clients in the remote network via IP, nslookup is working fine against these clients.

A ping using the netbios name or FQDN isn't working, as the name is not relolved via nbns. This is a problem so far, that we use the clientnames in MS-Remotedesktop.over the Tunnel

Can anyone help me with this?

12 Replies 12

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

If you pptp in from another Internet source (cafe, library, etc), does the netbios work then?  I'm trying to figure out if the rv082 is the issue.  Also, are the vpn passthrough options enabled on the rv082?

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

Thank you for your reply. I have configured RRAS on a new 2008R2 Server (physical machine). I also have a WINS-Server

on the network running. VPN passthrough (all options)  is enabled on the router. I established the VPN from different locations. NBNS isn't working anywhere.My Lancom 1821 works without any further configuration

Unfortunately the domain-suffixes aren't deployed via DHCP over RRAS since Server 2008 as they did in Server 2003.

My Lancom 1821 is passing through NBNS packets like charme or it passes them to the correct internal Nameserver.

Looks like i have to configure the domain suffix on each client's computer VPN.

This will work for me.

But i would really like to know, why and where NBNS-packets are blocked. Of course i disabled the firewall on the RV082.

Same result. Strange

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

What IP address is the client getting for the WINS server?  If this is coming from the router, I'm suspecting it's not your actual server and just the default gateway IP.    

Hi again. Of course it's the IP from WINS-Server (x.x.x.200/24). Running on the same machine as DNS.

Hi Ruediger, NetBios is a broadcast message. If it is making it through the PPTP tunnel, it will still be blocked by any security services like Windows Firewall.

Although this post is unrelated it contains the information you need since in the essence the PPTP tunnel is like a VLAN.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2109695

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi Tom. Thanks for your reply. I know about the being of Netbios and other network protocolls. As i mentioned in my second post, the vpn is working with the same configuration @ all my customers with Lancom Routers,

In this case we had a Lancom Router installed, ping was working fine and i could use the netbios name for customers Remote Terminals. However: I will have a look with Ethereal on the other site of the tunnel tomorrow. But i'm quiet sure, that the NBNS-Packages won't make it through the tunnel. I also will change the node type to Hybrid, so that WINS will be used preferred. As i have a workaround by deploying the suffxes via Poweshell

it is not vital for me to get this working. But i'm curious

But have you verified that the client is getting the real DNS/WINS IP versus the default gateway?

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

When connecting to the PPTP, what DNS server is assigned to the connecting host? Can you modify the adapter to point to a preferred DNS?

I'm not sure if there is a way to populate the DNS database under the DHCP page (I"m not looking at a router right now).

You can use this MS document to resolve the problem as well.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/176321

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

good morning, guys (it's 6.30 in the morning in Germany) Of course the DNS is deployed via DHCP by a microsoft server in the internal network. The DHCP function of the router is disabled. This is vital, cause otherwise the DHCP-service on the MS-server will stop working and this will cause malfunction of the entire network (FSMOs are populated via MS-DNS).

ipconfig >>

Verbindungsspezifisches DNS-Suffix: adpublic.local

Beschreibung. . . . . . . . . . . : Ad.Affairs

Physikalische Adresse . . . . . . :

DHCP aktiviert. . . . . . . . . . : Nein

Autokonfiguration aktiviert . . . : Ja

IPv4-Adresse  . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.178.29(Bevorzugt)

Subnetzmaske  . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255

Standardgateway . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

DNS-Server  . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.178.203

NetBIOS ber TCP/IP . . . . . . . : Aktiviert

The x.x.x.203/24 is microsoft server runing DNS.

This means: use the remote gateway and this works fine. Netbios over TCP is activated, so the Netbios name should be found by the master browser in the remote network. And: It's working at once, if any Lancom router is used instead.

I really have to find out via network protocol analyzer, where the packets get stuck. I read KB176321. But this is not right for me. I dont think, that packages arre sent to the isp.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Everything looks set up correctly and the IPs are correct on the client.  What's interesting is that I've never got netbios to work on my rv016s even via a site-to-site vpn, so it might just be the same with the rv082.  What firmware version are you running?

sorry for my late answer. It's the latest firmware: 4.2.1.02-tm.

Is this a version 3 hardware rv082?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: