cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Port security on port where printer is connected

jahanzeb.feroze
Level 1
Level 1

How to handle port security on the ports where printers are connected, the problem is whenever i enable ports security on the ports , everytime printer gets disable. Is there any to appy port secuirty on the port where printer is connected?

Regards

Jahanzeb

25 Replies 25

jahanzeb.feroze
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Experts,

Please help

What does the configuration of the port look like? Is there something else daisy chained off the printer? What model of printer is it?

Configuration:

Int fa 0/x

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 50

switchport pot-security

speed 100

duplex full

Printer detail,

Xerox printer /copier / scanner

What is the goal of the port-security in this case?

Does the port actually enter an err-disabled state if so what is the reason according to the logging ?

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12-2SX/configuration/guide/book/port_sec.html#wp1070356

Goal is to peotect unauthorize use of this port.

according to logging it is learning different mac addresses of the same printer causing the port to disable

Hi Feroz,

Can you confirm that all different mac address belong to same printer.

Thanks

Sam

The port just learn only one mac address

Hi

What kind of switch and software? It could be software bug, I had similar behaviour on 3750x (I don't remember software version).

Did you try to setup mac address statically on port?

Hello,

Its a access layer switch, 2960.

No didnt try this yet.

Static MAC solved this for me in the past. Followed with a shut, no shut.

means by using sticky command?

Hi Jahanzeb! I guess that Shawn meant static with no sticky option:

(config-if)# switchport port-security mac-address [sticky] MAC_ADDRESS [vlan vlan_ID]

At the MAC_ADDRESSS position, write your printer address.

I hope this can help you. 

Hi cmg,

Thanks for elaboration.

Scan the network for both adresses to see where the other MAC address comes from.

Check the cabling if there isnt a hub or switch connected somewhere or if there is a user who plugs his laptop in the port the printer also uses.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: