Views
Helpful
Replies

Ports used by QuickVPN

MaikeWhite
Level 1
Level 1

Good evening,

we recently bought a new desktop firewall solution from McAfee and I can't seem to get our VPN to work. I allowed QuickVPN in the firewall and additionally opened port 1194, 1720 and 1723 - but that does not do the trick. Once I turn off the firewall and use Windows Firewall instead it works. So I'm thinking I'm missing at least one more port.

Can someone help me please?

Thanks!

Maike

2 Replies 2

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Maike,

Thank you for posting. QuickVPN needs ports 443, 60443, 500 and 4500 to be open. On Windows Vista and Windows 7 the Windows Firewall MUST be ON. You may be able to have both firewalls running at the same time. The Windows IPSEC service is attached to the Windows Firewall and if the firewall is off, the IPSEC service is also off. Without the IPSEC service QuickVPN cannot work.

QuickVPN is usually not friendly with third party firewall and antivirus software. Such software blocks ping replies from the router and does not allow the VPN tunnel to establish on the PC side. Please let us know if you find a way to get QuickVPN to work with McAffee. I have not had good results with it.

Hi mpyhala,

Thanks for your response. I'm in touch with mcafee support to get this resolved.

I run windows 7 ultimate on my home pc with mcafee total protection and quickvpn works fine. I gotta see if my windows firewall is turned off, but I would expect it to be.

I'll keep you posted