Views
Helpful
Replies

PPPoA/Ethernet bridging

mswhinery
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have in my hands an SRP 527W.  The problem is that I have a static IP handed out by PPP that I need on my firewall.  The telco here uses only PPPoA and the firewall uses only PPPoE.  I've seen command line for an 800-series router from the telco that will connect with PPPoA, then bridge the connection (requiring a static IP set on the firewall matching the settings handed out by PPP).  However, I am unable to figure out how to get the SRP 527W to authenticate with PPPoA, then start bridging.  It will either bridge, which won't work because the firewall won't do PPPoA and the telco won't do PPPoE, or it will do PPPoA and "take" the IP handed out via PPPoA, preventing its use on the firewall.  Any ideas how to get the 527W to work in this situation?

1 Reply 1

mswhinery
Level 1
Level 1

What I'm trying to do:

I have a carrier who will only respond to PPPoA, and PPPoE will fail when bridged.  I have a PPPoE firewall I want to use.  I've seen code for teh 800 that will do PPPoA, then go into bridge mode, letting the firewall be configured with a static IP of what PPPoA should hand out (static IP) and such.  But the 527W was bought not knowing it wasn't an IOS device, and thus can't use the code used successfully on the 800.  So I'm looking at getting the 527W to work, in any mode possible.  There are a few inexpensive solutions that do PPPoE to PPPoA translation, and I'll be buying on of those shortly if I can't get PPPoA + bridging working on the 527W.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: