Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem: (VPN) RV042 and DHCP Server

Hello!

I want to use a RV042 VPN Router within my network. The clients can establish a VPN connection to the RV042 (they can ping the RV042 and access webgui) but can't get access to the Storage server.

The network:

<client1> ------- (VPN via QuickVPN) ------- <RV042> --- LAN 1 --- <DHCP Server>

|---------- LAN 2 --- <Storage Server>

DHCP from RV042 is disabled.

The VPN Clients don't get an IP from the DHCP Server.

How and what do I have to configure to get access to the storage server?

Thank you very much!

5 Replies 5

jasbryan
Level 6
Level 6

When you say Lan 2 can you be more specific. I take it Lan 2 is on a different subnet. Qvpn only supports connection to /24 so you will only have access to default vlan 1

Jasbryan

Sorry, I meant LAN Port 1 and LAN Port 2.

IP:

DHCP Server 192.168.1.1

RV042 192.168.1.10

Storage Server 192.168.1.2

Client 1 (VPN) doesn't get an IP Adress from DHCP Server and Client 2 (LAN Port 3 RV042) gets IP adress an can ping DHCP Server, RV042 and the Storage Server.

I think it's a problem like "DHCP over VPN". My VPN client doesn't get an IP adress...

Sebastian,

Since you're using Qvpn (IPSec) doesn't give the client an DHCP address from it's range. It's more like creating a site to site tunnel. So any packets orginating from your pc will be seen from the remote network as on a different subnet so your firewalls will need to be configured properly.

So lets say client ip address is 192.168.5.100 and remote network is 192.168.1.0/24 the source address will be see as 192.168.5.100 which is on a different subnet.

Also have you tried to access other things on your network via IP address not by name?

Jasbryan

Also if you would like to work with an engineer you can give us a call @ Cisco Small Business Support Center (Support Numbers)

Thank you very much!

I've tried something else: I turned on DHCP at RV042 and removed the DHCP Server from the network. Now I can ping the client at the LAN Port at RV042.

Let's summarize all:

If I use RV042 with DHCP [ON] everything is fine. If I turn [OFF] DHCP and use my own DHCP Server I can just access the RV042. Curious...

Instead of using QuickVPN, if you have a PPTP VPN client connected to the PPTP Server on RV042, the PPTP client will get an IP address in the designated address pool from RV042.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: