Views
Helpful
Replies

problems with rv042g after software upgrade

the_mop_8
Level 1
Level 1

after software upgrade it reboot the router about every 45 sec

I've tried this tool from the Cisco website RV0xxV3_FirmwareRescueUtility_v4.0.0.7 without success, the problem is there, is a way you can get the router up and running again ?

Can i run a TFTP server and upload a new software, or i ther a FirmwareRescueUtility for rv042g ??

Mogens from Demmark

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The first firmware shipped with RV042G is 4.2.0.03, so the firmware rescue utility v4.0.0.7 would not work.

Since your RV042G will power cycle automatically every 45 sec and the problem did not go away after you have performed a reset to factory default, the unit needs a new firmware uploaded. Please try the following steps.

1. Disconnect the power cable to the unit.

2. Hold the reset button (using a paper clip), while plugging in the power cable.

3. Watch the DIAG LED.

4. Release the reset button when you see the DIAG LED start to blink.

5. A blinking DIAG indicates that the unit is running in the boot mode, and a tftp server running on the unit is waiting for a fresh firmware image at address 192.168.1.1.

6. Configure your PC with a static IP address in the 192.168.1.x subnet, e.g. 192.168.1.100, and specify 192.168.1.1 as the default gateway.

7. Try to ping the unit with 192.168.1.1, and you should see a reponse from the unit.

8. Run a tftp client program (with a command line) and push a good firmware image, e.g.

tftp -i 192.168.1.1

If the above procedure does not solve the issue, please contact the support center for RMA.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Wrong forum, post in "small business - routers". You can move your post using the actions panel on the right.

Done i thinke :-?

/Mogens

ok done means i move this questions not that the problem is Done plz help ..

/Mogens

jonatrod
Level 7
Level 7

Good morning Mogens Pedersen

Thanks for using our forum

I am a Cisco network support engineer, I have a recommendation, before you  upgrade any device in the future. Always keep in mind to make a backup of your data, in this way if you have to reset the device to factory settings you will not lose that information. Having said that, reset the router to the fabric configuration using the back little button, remember when you do that, you are going to loose your current configuration.

Also here I leave a link for you to download the firmware rescue utility for your router:

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=282414010&release=4.0.0.7&relind=AVAILABLE&softwareid=282465800&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

I hope you find this answer useful, if it was satisfactory  for you, please mark the question as Answered

and please rate helpful posts 

Greetings,

Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda.

Cisco network support engineer

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it” Greetings, Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda. Cisco Network Support Engineer.

I have now tried it as you suggest, it works unfortunately not.

I've also tried to make a hardreset as you propose it does also not work

unfortunately. is the router brand new less than 10 days old (serial nks1610537)

Here is what I have tried

hardreset held the small black button for about 45 seconds waited a minute and tried to

ping 192.168.1.1 I got no answer :-/

Secondly

held hardreset button for about 7 ~ 9 seconds to diag light blinked and ran the program you suggested but no luck the router reboots still after about 45 seconds

Mogens

The first firmware shipped with RV042G is 4.2.0.03, so the firmware rescue utility v4.0.0.7 would not work.

Since your RV042G will power cycle automatically every 45 sec and the problem did not go away after you have performed a reset to factory default, the unit needs a new firmware uploaded. Please try the following steps.

1. Disconnect the power cable to the unit.

2. Hold the reset button (using a paper clip), while plugging in the power cable.

3. Watch the DIAG LED.

4. Release the reset button when you see the DIAG LED start to blink.

5. A blinking DIAG indicates that the unit is running in the boot mode, and a tftp server running on the unit is waiting for a fresh firmware image at address 192.168.1.1.

6. Configure your PC with a static IP address in the 192.168.1.x subnet, e.g. 192.168.1.100, and specify 192.168.1.1 as the default gateway.

7. Try to ping the unit with 192.168.1.1, and you should see a reponse from the unit.

8. Run a tftp client program (with a command line) and push a good firmware image, e.g.

tftp -i 192.168.1.1

If the above procedure does not solve the issue, please contact the support center for RMA.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: