cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Questions Getting Started with VPN on RV180

mallardnathan
Level 1
Level 1

I want to setup VPN on the RV180 just in case my MacBook Pro, iPhone, or iPad need to utilize it in the future. I'm looking around at the VPN settings screens, but I'm not sure what all I need to do to set this up. Can someone point me in the right direction on how to get started setting this all up?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

chrebert
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

Since you are using mostly Apple devices your best option will probably be PPTP. The RV180 does QuickVPN (which is Windows only) and third party software (which we generally don't assist with since we didn't create it) as well, however PPTP tends to be easiest.

On the router you simply navigate to VPN >> IPSec >> VPN Users.  Enable PPTP, and then create a new user.  Make sure the protocol is set to PPTP, and the Enabled checkbox is checked. 

Then simply go on the Mac to setup a new connection, there should be VPN/PPTP options when you hit the plus sign under the network configuration utility.  I am not a Mac guy myself so I don't have too many details there, but it is a basic PPTP connection, so there should be plenty of documentation how to do that on your various devices.

Thank you for choosing Cisco,

Christopher Ebert - Advanced Network Support Engineer

Cisco Small Business Support Center

*please rate helpful posts*

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

chrebert
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

Since you are using mostly Apple devices your best option will probably be PPTP. The RV180 does QuickVPN (which is Windows only) and third party software (which we generally don't assist with since we didn't create it) as well, however PPTP tends to be easiest.

On the router you simply navigate to VPN >> IPSec >> VPN Users.  Enable PPTP, and then create a new user.  Make sure the protocol is set to PPTP, and the Enabled checkbox is checked. 

Then simply go on the Mac to setup a new connection, there should be VPN/PPTP options when you hit the plus sign under the network configuration utility.  I am not a Mac guy myself so I don't have too many details there, but it is a basic PPTP connection, so there should be plenty of documentation how to do that on your various devices.

Thank you for choosing Cisco,

Christopher Ebert - Advanced Network Support Engineer

Cisco Small Business Support Center

*please rate helpful posts*

Thanks for the response! I'm at the VPN Users Screen. Do I need to put anything in the Starting and Ending IP Address Range, as well as the Setting Table below?

I do know how to setup VPN on the Mac side. The Mac does have built in PPTP, as well as it also supports Cisco IPSec. Is there a way to do a Cisco IPSec connection to the RV180? I'd just need to know how to set it up router side. I've setup Cisco IPSec connections on Macs before.

Thanks!

To give my support contract a spin, I decided to create a service request from this thread just to see how it went. It went very well.

The support engineer basically reiterated what you said about PPTP and going to the VPN Users. He gave me an IP range to enter into the Starting and Ending Address Range, as well as showed me how to set a user account on the table.

So I'm all good to go! Thanks again for your assistance!