cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QuickVPN and IP address subnet conflict

newkansan
Level 1
Level 1

I am having some connection issues with certain clients.  I came across this in the VPN documentation:  "To avoid address conflicts between the LAN settings of your router and VPN users' routers, do not configure your LAN with a common IP address range such as 192.168.1.x."

I believe this is the root of our connection problems.  My question is, is this requirement specific to the QuickVPN client, or will this requirement be in effect with a 3rd party VPN client as well?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi-

You can try using the PPTP server in the RV042 but Qvpn is a split tunnel and does not send all traffic over vpn to remote network.So if your local subnet and remote subnet are the same , then your traffic will never leave your local network. Seems you need a vpn client using full tunnel

Hope this helps,

Jasbryan

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Tim,

Thank you for posting. This problem occurs because the router that you are connecting from does not know whether to send traffic through the tunnel or keep it on the LAN when each end has the same subnet. This would be an issue with almost any client VPN software. It is best to use an uncommon LAN subnet on the VPN router to avoid conflict.

DominikAu
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Tim,

i believe that the problem isn't the router as mpyhala stated, but the computer itself, because it has to decide to put the packets into a tunnel (to your router at the far end) or forward them as usual to the current router.

this decision is based on the destination address of each packet and the ip/subnet the vpn router is responsible for.

if the local subnet == far end subnet -> problem.

We had a different VPN solution prior to putting the RV042 in, and we didn't seem to have this problem with the other solution.  That leads me to believe that this is a QuickVPN-specific limitation.  I will have to experiment with a 3rd party VPN client logging into the RV042.  We are faced with an uncomfortable choice of re-architecting the subnet the RV042 is on, or helping the handful of employees who use the VPN to re-architect their home subnets.  Neither is desireable.

Hi-

You can try using the PPTP server in the RV042 but Qvpn is a split tunnel and does not send all traffic over vpn to remote network.So if your local subnet and remote subnet are the same , then your traffic will never leave your local network. Seems you need a vpn client using full tunnel

Hope this helps,

Jasbryan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: