cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

quickvpn / client to gateway vpn rv042 can only ping router

knightstorm
Level 1
Level 1

I am setting up remote access using an RV042 router.  Using quickvpn or a client-to gateway vpn and shrewsoft client,  I can only access/ping the LAN side of the remote router and one machine on the remote network.  The PPTP server and native Windows 7 connection provide access to all machines on the remote network.

I have 2 possible reasons for this and would like to find the real reason:

1) The remote RV042 is behind another router, and that router restricts access other than the PPTP traffic.

2)  The VPN tunnels other than PPTP only allow access to the remote LAN side of the router and remote machines that have the remote router defined as their gateway in the IP configuration.

Any ideas?

2 Replies 2

Herbert Baerten
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi knightstorm,

since this question is about a product in the Cisco Small Business / Linksys range, I suggest you move it to the community, where you will have a better chance of getting expert advice.

best regards,

Herbert
Cisco Moderator

knightstorm
Level 1
Level 1

I've narrowed the problem down to option 2 above. If I change the gateway of a LAN resource to point to the LAN side of the router, it can be accessed through the VPN tunnel. 

I haven't had time to see if adding routing entries can fix this problem.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Also, I would appreciate an explanation of why the PPTP connection works.  I will research this myself (eventually) but am  already backed up with other projects..