cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

quickvpn connected, but cannot use lan resources

Dvandusen10
Level 1
Level 1

I have recently configured RVS4000 for VPN use.  The office LAN is the RVS4000 (IP 192.168.1.1) behind a Thomson 516 (in bridge mode, the RVS handling PPPoE authentification), 1 machine running xp pro used as a file and print server, 3 xp workstations.

I just want to be able to access the server, which has a fixed IP of 192.168.1.50.  I don't care about accessing the workstations. Windows firewal on the server is off.

Trying to connect from home machine which is another xp pro machine behind a d-link 524 and cable modem. windows firewall on home computer is off (di-524 firewall is on, I've lost the password and the unit is refusing to hard reset to defaults...).

quickvpn will connect to the RVS4000 (as long as port is set to auto) (though sometimes the remote gateway will stop responding...don't know what's up with that), and I can ping each and every device on the office LAN, including the server and the networked multifunction office machine (which prints, scans and faxes beautifully over the office LAN).  I can log into each and every web interface connected to the office LAN

The RVS4000 is meticulously set up with each and every firewall rule I've seen mentioned re. quickvpn.

I understand that quickvpn does not give you a local IP on the target LAN, and that it does not support netbios.  However, I have read and been told that it should allow to access fileshares and printers.  But these do not work.

After some research, I set up a networked drive by IP address and folder on the server. It looks right, displays correct size and capacity info and browses nice and fast.  However, any attempt to save to the file server results in a file save error, data lost, connection may have been lost error message out of the windows taskbar.

Also, trying to set up printer (either as standalone network device by IP address, which worked great when setting up the office LAN, or via the server (to which it is locally connected) results in a bad hang and/or ultimately, the printer cannot be found error message.

I've tried running remote desktop on the server (by IP). It connects great, but then hangs, useless.

Phone tech support says that must be a windows file permission problem, but the file server is using plain vanilla full file sharing that works real well on the office LAN.  I've even assigned the home machine the same workgroup and domain as the office LAN (though since netbios isn't supported, didn't think it would do anything, and it didn't).

Any thoughts on making this work, or have I just wasted our money and nearly an entire week of my time?

1 Reply 1

Alejandro Gallego
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Dvandusen,

I understand that you are able to connect with no problem (for the most part) via QVPN to the RVS, and you have access to remote resources; however, they are not useable.

I will try to make suggestions based on this.

First, your D-Link router is most likely giving you an IP of 192.168.0.x, is this correct? (for this conversation I will assume correct)

Since your RVS is still default and has 192.168.1.0 network ID, for some reason this can cause problems. Typically I like to set up the routers for QVPN with an IP that is not very common, like 192.168.212.0 /24. The part that is key is ensuring both local networks are not the same, but really not similar in any manner. I know they are different right now, but "1" and "0" (as in 192.168.0 or 192.168.1.) are not good numbers to use. I wish I knew exactly why.

Another thing that caught my attention is this:

"After some research, I set up a networked drive by IP address and folder on the server. It looks right, displays correct size and capacity info and browses nice and fast.  However, any attempt to save to the file server results in a file save error, data lost, connection may have been lost error message out of the windows taskbar."

This part is a little confusing, but I think is that you have created a mapped drive on your computer for a share on the server. You are able to access files, but not able to save them. Once you get the error message are still able to access the mapped drive?

"Trying to connect from home machine which is another xp pro machine behind a d-link 524 and cable modem. windows firewall on home computer is off (di-524 firewall is on, I've lost the password and the unit is refusing to hard reset to defaults...)."

I would really look into your router and why is it not able to factory default. One thing that is very important that gets missed very often is the Windows Firewall. You checked and made sure it was off, but have you looked at the service to make sure it is not running. Turning the firewall off from the GUI is not the same. It should be but is not.

To turn off the service click on start > Run > Type "services.msc" without quotes. When the services window opens, scroll down to "Windows Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)" and stop the service.

Try the connection again and see if you are able to get what you need. If so go ahead and just disable the service.

Let us know if this helps out.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: