cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacement for AM200/RV042 setup?

graemesmith1960
Level 1
Level 1

My trusty AM200 modem has died and it apears it is no longer available.  I thought the AM300 looked ok but I can't one of those either, at least not in Europe.

I used it to feed the internet to my RV042 and then on to my WRVS4400 and a few WRT54GL's and it was great.  Trying to find a replacement is difficult.  I've tried a D-Link DSL-320B as it looked like a similar product but it doesn't work.  In the UK we only have PPPoA so the modem needs to do all the authentication.  The D-Link will do that but when DCHP is enabled it automatically drops to Half-Bridge mode but the RV042 won't work with it in that mode.  I used my AM200 in Half-Bridge just to try it a while ago but didn't like the fact it became invisible on the network so couldn't be easily administered but I do know how it should work.  The DSL-320 with DCHP disabled does not give the RV042 a WAN port IP so MAC cloning should fix that, it doesn't so I'm stuffed as they say.  By the way, if you Google DSL-320B, PPPoA, Routers and UK ISP's you wouldn't have bought one in the first place.  Luckily it was cheap!

My work around is using a Netgear DG834PN with Wireless disabled and DMZ enabled (with DCHP enabled and working correctly to give the RV042 a WAN IP but not interfering with the RV042's DCHP) feeding the WAN port.  It works ok but does not give the same line speeds as the AM200.  Also it loses lock every now and then and has to be re-booted so is only a temporary solution.

There does not appear to be many suitable products out there so I'm open to suggestions.

By the way, the Forum setup has changed since I last posted to the Linksys one so if there is a better Forum for this question please suggest it.  Thanks

Graeme Smith

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Glenn Quesenberry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Graeme,

This forum is specific to the Cisco Small Business line of products, like the RV042 you have.  In the Cisco Small Business portfolio the closest we would have to the AM200 ADSL modem is the Secure Router 520 (SR520), ADSL model (SR520-ADSL-K9).  There is also a wireless version of this router should that be required (SR520W-ADSL-K9).  I'm not familiar with the AM200 personally however the closest product match we have in Small Business is the SR520.  To read the Data Sheet for the SR520 line, click here!

Hope this helps,

Glenn

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Glenn Quesenberry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Graeme,

This forum is specific to the Cisco Small Business line of products, like the RV042 you have.  In the Cisco Small Business portfolio the closest we would have to the AM200 ADSL modem is the Secure Router 520 (SR520), ADSL model (SR520-ADSL-K9).  There is also a wireless version of this router should that be required (SR520W-ADSL-K9).  I'm not familiar with the AM200 personally however the closest product match we have in Small Business is the SR520.  To read the Data Sheet for the SR520 line, click here!

Hope this helps,

Glenn

Thanks Glen

This is exactly what I'm looking for.  The UK version of the Linksys site does not show the product and the Cisco site just refers me to partner organisations which is why I couldn't find it myself.  Now I know what to Google for I have found various vendors in the UK who can supply it.

Thanks again.

Graeme