Helpful
Replies

Routing issue on RV042

SirTigerDK
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

My problem is this.

We have to locations, which are connected by two Cisco Switches.

The branch office are supposed to access the internet throug Head Quarters.

There are access to HQ from branch, but not the internet. The supplier of the fiber tells me, that I have to create a static route and maybee som NAT routing for it to work, in my RV042, but I don't know how.

The HQ Cisco Switch port 1 with IP 192.168.2.1 and Port 2 with the internet. The LAN IP of the RV042 is 192.168.2.3.

I've connected Port1 to Port4 in the RV042 and the and the WAN2 to P2 on the Cisco Switch. (I've been told, that the nessesary routing info is configured correctly in the Cisco switch)

Then, in the RV042, Advanced Routing, I've set up a route with foloowing info:

Destination IP: 192.168.3.0

Subnet Mask:  255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1

Hop Count:     5

Interface: Lan

This doesn't give me any internet Access from the branch office, And I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Is this at all possible in the RV042 or do I just need to add a setting somewhere else?

5 Replies 5

fmarshall
Level 1
Level 1

I'm not completely sure how you have things connected but:

In order to use the RV042 between sites with internet service provided at one of those sites:

You have to "point" the WAN side of all RV042s toward the internet connection.

Main office with internet connection:

RV042 WAN side on the main office LAN ... toward the internet.

RV042 LAN side on the interoffice link.

... interim private subnet here ...

Other offices:

RV042 WAN side on the interoffice link ... toward the internet.

RV042 LAN side on the local LAN

In my application, RV042 in Router mode (no NAT).

aunrein
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Morten,

I am not sure if this helps, but I found an article that might offer a bit more insight.

IPv4 Static Routing Configuration on RV016, RV042, RV042G, and RV082 VPN Routers

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks,

Alex

jawad-mukhtar
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

If u want Internet in your branch office

u have to set default route in your branch office router towards Head Office Router.

This should work.

Jawad

fmarshall
Level 1
Level 1

Everything you've described seems fine.  But it's not complete.

You didn't mention what terminates the link at the head office end.  What kind of router?  If it's an RV042 then there are some things you must do.  If it's not an RV0xx then there are still things perhaps that need doing.  I will refer this router and the one at the other end as the "link router".

First, if this is an RV042-to-RV042 link then the head office (where the internet connection is) has to have it's link-terminating RV042 pointed this way:

WAN to the head office LAN.  LAN to the link.  It seems strange but I've found this is the only configuration that works. I have this configuration in production now.  In other words, the WAN sides of all the RV042s have to "point to" the internet gateway.

Here are the static routes you need:

Well, first the remote site RV042 needs to be the gateway for that site.  All off-LAN traffic needs to point to that RV042 LAN IP address.  This applies to all the computers at that site and the DHCP server settings if you have one.

Next, the main site link router needs to point to the main site gateway as the default route.

i.e. 0.0.0.0 to 192.168.3.xxx assuming that 192.168.3.0 is the main site subnet address.

Next, the main site gateway router needs to route back to the main site link router in order for packets to return to the remote site:

Like this:

192.168.2.0/24 to 192.168.3.yyy where yyy is the main site link address of the link router.

Packets from the remote site destined for the main LAN have an assymetrical path::

Outgoing:

- remote LAN host

- remote gateway / link router

- main link router

- main LAN host

Returning:

- main LAN gateway  <<<< this is why you need a route here

- main link router

- remote link router / gateway

- remote LAN host

Packets from the remote site destined for the internet have a symmetrical path:

Outgoing:

- remote LAN host

- remote gateway / link router

- main gateway

- internet site

Returning:

- internet site

- main LAN gateway  <<<< this is why you need a route here

- main link router

- remote link router / gateway

- remote LAN host

I hope this helps.

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Old posting, anyway:

This is the wrong forum. Post inh "small business - routers". You can move your post using the actions panel on the right.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: