cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV 120W can't access internal servers by external addresses

allenmock
Level 1
Level 1

I recently cut over from a WRT54G to a RV120W.  I am having an issue where I type https://www.domainname.com

(for a server running on my network) in my web browser while on the internal network and it always comes back with the router login page.  Basically it is supposed to go out of the router and then come back in on the public IP address and hit that server.  There was a function on the WRT54G called "Filter Internet NAT redirection" which when turned off would allow this to happen.  I am not seeing a feature like this on the RV120W

This explains the feature:

http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wired-Routers/What-s-the-purpose-of-Filter-Internet-NAT-Redirection/m-p/63857

This is somebody else having the same issue:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2037079

Any assistance with resolving this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

29 Replies 29

davbarre
Level 1
Level 1

Allen,

I posted this in the other thread pertaining to this as well, but wanted to put the work around on here.

We are currently seeing more cases with this same issue.  The DNS requests are going from the inside of your network, out to your ISP's DNS server, and then it's pointed back to the WAN of your router.  At this point you get a login page for the RV120W.  We are now aware of this issue and working towards a permenant resolution.

Currently you can resolve this 2 ways.  You can modify internal Host files on your PC that point your web server address to an internal IP address.

For example www.server123.com to 192.168.1.10

If you have an internal DNS server on your network, you can also create an A record that points to the internal IP address of the web server.

Please understand these are only work arounds until we get a final resolution.

Thanks!

Dave

David L. Barrett, Jr.

Hi Dave,

I am sorry to say your response is not entirely correct.  This is NOT a DNS issue, but rather a NAT issue.  Even if I use the EXTERNAL IP address as opposed to the public FQDN, the results are the same.  I still get redirected to the router login page.

Is there an ETA for the resolution?  It looks like firmware updates don't happen very often with this router.  If you don't see this happening within the next month, I am going to have to return this router and get something else.

Thanks,

Allen

Hi Allen,

I beleive the feature you need is called "NAT hairpinning". Here is the definition:

A feature that is available in some NATs where two or more hosts are positioned behind a NAT and each of those hosts is assigned a specific external (public) address and port by the NAT. Hairpinning support in a NAT allows these hosts to send a packet to the external address and port that is assigned to one of the other hosts, and the NAT automatically routes the packet back to the correct host. The term hairpinning is derived from the packet behavior, which arrives on, and is sent out to, the same NAT interface.

You might want to contact S-TAC support and open a service request for it. If this feature wasn't implemented in the current firmware, it is possible to open a feature request.

Hi Ivan,

Thank you for your reply.  I already opened a ticket for this on 10/14/2010 with Britt Releford.  He stated he was going to call me back tomorrow.  I have still yet to hear from him via phone or email.  Very disappointing.

This feature called "Filter Internet NAT redirection" which was present on the wrt54G solved this.  Please see this thread:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2037079

Thanks,

Allen

Allen,

I was wondering if this ever got resolved (offline) for you or anything? I'm in the exact same boat and I'm having to take this router out of the loop and use the older WRT54G until this gets resolved. I posted in another similar thread but was wondering if you had gotten any answer to this or had heard back from anyone? Just curious...

Either way, thanks in advance!

-Chris

Hi Chris,

Sorry for the delay.  I am sad to say that this has NOT been resolved.  I spoke to Anthony from support (have his badge number in case any Cisco people are interested in actually following up on this).  He, like Britt from my previous call committed to calling me back tomorrow to get a feature change request submitted.  Again to this day, I have yet to hear from Britt or Anthony.  This is extremely frustrating that they don't follow-up with customer commitments.

However, Anthony's manager (I think his name was Ken, but might be wrong) called me a week later.  I told him the story and he said that support does not submit feature requests.  When I informed him of this thread, he said he would personally follow-up with me on the correct procedure to get this moving.  Are you ready for a total shocker????  This manager has still yet to contact me again.

Cisco follow-up has to be the worst that I have EVER experienced and I have had my fair share of good and bad customer service.

Somebody from Cisco, please contact me.  My phone number is in the case opened with my support forum alias.

Allen

Sir My name is Eric Moyers. I am one of the Cisco Network Support Engineers here at the Small Business Support Center. I am sorry to hear about your experiences so far. I would like to assue you that we here at Cisco take yours and all customers issues very seriously and I promise to do everything I can to help find a resolution for you. We have several Anthony's here in the Support Center, in order quickly go over your case notes quickly, determine the best course of action, and make sure I get the right people involved for you, could I please get you to send me your case number or numbers if you have had more than one. To make sure that you have a direct contact with someone here, please send your number(s) to:

emoyersatciscodotcom.

again I am sorry for your experience thus far, but I will do my best, to improve that for you.

Eric Moyers
Cisco SBSC Network Engineer
1-866-606-1866

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the follow-up.  I sent you an e-mail.  I look forward to working towards a resolution with you.  Forum, I'll circle back when I hear more.

Allen

Hi Allen ... and thanks for participating in the Support Community. Eric is definitely the go-to for the Small Business Support Center and I have no doubt he can help you. I am a Customer Experience manager reporting to the tech group; different division than Eric but we're both committed to your satisfaction and success with Cisco Small Business products.

As for new feature requests, you can post here or you can email me directly (streaves at cisco dot com). I will share your recommendations and requests with our Small Business Router team as well as tech group leadership. Appreciate your patience ... I'm sure you're aware that it takes time to review and possibly adopt new features.

Thanks again for your participation and please keep us posted.

Stephanie Reaves

Cisco Small Business Technolgy Group

Hi Allen, I also just sent you an email.

Just wanted you to know I have your info and will be pulling both cases to go over them. When I have something for you I will contact you to discuss. Thank you for sending that to me so quickly and sorry for my late reply. Between the Holidays and training new hires, my time this week has been pretty full.

Eric Moyers
Cisco SBSC Network Engineer
1-866-606-1866

Hi Mr. Mock,

I have pulled your cases and consulted with the engineers involved and with our next level of support. The issue with "Hair pinning" that was your issue was reported up to development and the business. It is currently in process. The plan is to have the issue resolved with the next major maintenance release of the firmware. Unfortunately I do not have a timeframe of when that will be. I apologizes that the initial engineers didn't give you an update on this development, but it is at least we were able to get you the work around to meet your current need by adding an entry to your host file on the local computer.

I will also be following up to you by email as well.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or I can assist you in any way.

Eric Moyers
Cisco Support Network Engineer
1-866-606-1866

Hi,

This issue is still not resolved we are having the same troubles with 1.0.1.3 software version.

Are there any news when software to get this feature working will be available?

Br,

Lukaszb

1.0.1.3 is the current release of the firmware.  We can only hope that a new release will be out soon.  Hopefully somebody will update this thread when it is actually released to save us the effort of checking on a daily/weekly basis. 

OK, so it has been 4 months since the last post on this topic and 7 months since the last firmware release for the

router.

Cisco, could you please give us a status update?  When will NAT hair-pinning finally be available for this router?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: