Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV016 and PPPoE no DNS

Hi all,

I am trying to install a RV016 behind a layer 2 managed switch provided by ISP.  The ISP is using PPPoE to allow access.  I am able to see that I am connected to ISP's device and I receive a real world IP address on WAN1 of RV016.  I am not able to resolve any web addresses either through router diag screen or from connected pc.

DNS entry in DHCP panel is sett to 0.0.0.0 and after connecting to pppoe the summary shows 8.8.8.8

Router was configured and then reset back to factory after initial trouble.  Still same results

Any thoughts?

1 REPLY
Bronze

RV016 and PPPoE no DNS

Dear Rick,

Thank you for reaching the Small Business Support Community.

The default DNS entry of 0.0.0.0 is used for dynamically assigned DNS server that once you have a successful PPPoE connection it turns into 8.8.8.8 which is the DNS your ISP wants you to use and which is a Google Public DNS. 

You may manually enter that DNS IP address on the DHCP > DHCP Setup page and try it again. Make sure your PC's behind this router are configured to automatically obtain DHCP and DNS server addresses.  If it is the ISP provided switch the one acting a DHCP server then on the DHCP > DHCP Setup page enable "DHCP Relay" and forget about the DNS entry change I said before. If you use satically assigned IP addresses on your hosts then uncheck the "Enable DHCP Server" on that same page and make sure you enter the needed addresses on those PC's.

Once you have the correct configuration as per your needs, I sugest you to follow the below steps from a Windows OS command prompt;

1. Verify that your client can communicate with the Google DNS servers

tracert -d 8.8.8.8

2. Verify that Google  DNS can resolve the selected hostname

nslookup -debug www.cisco.com. 8.8.8.8

(Notice the dot after cisco.com)

2. Verify that another open resolver can resolve the selected hostname

nslookup www.cisco.com. 4.2.2.2

If it works ok on this second DNS address, change it on the router or the PC's, depending where the DNS setting is going to be. You may also try 8.8.4.4.

Please give this a try and let me know if there is any further assistance I may help you with.

Kind regards,

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:.
Cisco Customer Support Engineer

*Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:. Cisco Customer Support Engineer *Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content