cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 and QuickVPN with slow ping response

peterfmoulton
Level 1
Level 1

I have recently installed a RV042 on a home network with good success and was able to connect to the network from another location using QuickVPN on my laptop. The Internet access was via cable.

I am now up on the coast of Maine with the laptop and my only Internet access through a 0G phone network, with my iPhone as a wireless modem. A test of the properties through Speedtest shows a 120 KBs download and 20-30 kBs upload, along with a ping response time around 1000 ms

I am unable to connect to the home network with QuickVPN with an "unable to connect to Remote Gateway" message. All of the logs I can read showthat Quick VPN has properly found the home network and identified the gateway address.

I am guessing the connection failure occurs during the ping exchange through the tunnel (as the log indeed indicates) where the QuickVPN does a timeout before the other network can get back a response.

(For information, I am able to connect to my office VPN using Cisco AnyConnect at this location. Perhaps AnyConnect is a bit smarter.)

(I called Cisco support but they require the serial number for the RV042, which I cannot get, since I cannot connect to it. A Catch-22 here, so that is why I am posting.)

Two questions:

1. Is there any way to change the default value for the ping response timeout on QuickVPN? I have not been able to find same in any file or in the Registry, so I would guess the answer is no, but hope springs eternal.

2. Is there a a way to setup a connection to the RV042 manually at the client end, and have control over the ping response timeout. Note that I have not done any VPN setup on the RV042 other than that necessary to use QuickVPN.

Thanks for any help!

Peter Moulton

0 Replies 0