Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

RV042 and QuickVPN with slow ping response

I have recently installed a RV042 on a home network with good success and was able to connect to the network from another location using QuickVPN on my laptop. The Internet access was via cable.

I am now up on the coast of Maine with the laptop and my only Internet access through a 0G phone network, with my iPhone as a wireless modem. A test of the properties through Speedtest shows a 120 KBs download and 20-30 kBs upload, along with a ping response time around 1000 ms

I am unable to connect to the home network with QuickVPN with an "unable to connect to Remote Gateway" message. All of the logs I can read showthat Quick VPN has properly found the home network and identified the gateway address.

I am guessing the connection failure occurs during the ping exchange through the tunnel (as the log indeed indicates) where the QuickVPN does a timeout before the other network can get back a response.

(For information, I am able to connect to my office VPN using Cisco AnyConnect at this location. Perhaps AnyConnect is a bit smarter.)

(I called Cisco support but they require the serial number for the RV042, which I cannot get, since I cannot connect to it. A Catch-22 here, so that is why I am posting.)

Two questions:

1. Is there any way to change the default value for the ping response timeout on QuickVPN? I have not been able to find same in any file or in the Registry, so I would guess the answer is no, but hope springs eternal.

2. Is there a a way to setup a connection to the RV042 manually at the client end, and have control over the ping response timeout. Note that I have not done any VPN setup on the RV042 other than that necessary to use QuickVPN.

Thanks for any help!

Peter Moulton

• Small Business Routers
Everyone's tags (5)
Views
Helpful
Replies