Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 behind P660 unable to connect to the internet

Hi,

I am a bit new to setting up dual wan router. I am currently having a Zyxel P660 Adsl router but rv042 is unable to connect to the internet as zyxel doesn't give it a I.P address. Thank you guys in advance.  

2 Replies 2

chrebert
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Rashmin,

I am not that familair with the P660 but from looking over Zyxel's website it looks like a modem/router combo.  

Is it possible to place the Zyxel into bridged mode, so that it only acts as a ADSL router and passes the public IP on to the RV042?  You may need to call your ISP to have them do this for you.

When you are in bridged mode you will also probably have to configure the RV042's WAN port as a PPPoE connection and enter your ISP's credentials, so make sure they give you this when you speak to them about bridged mode.

With some routers it is possible to plug in another router behind them and everything sort of works.  This is called a double NAT situation, and does prevent VPN from working.  However not even that is working here so I would definitely see about getting that modem into bridged mode.  Some ISPs also call it IP passthrough or one-to-one NAT, just tell them you want a public IP on your RV042's WAN port.

Thank you for choosing Cisco,

Christopher Ebert - Network Support Engineer

Cisco Small Business Support Center

*please rate helpful posts*

Bridge mode is definitely the best, but if you can't do that, you may be able to put the rv042 in the Zyxel's DMZ.  I've gotten VPNs to work this way with Netgear vpn routers and it may work on Cisco's rv042 as well.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com