cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 causing 10X reduction in internet download speed?

marksharkey
Level 1
Level 1

I have an rv042 router that is only being used for basic internet and a VOIP phone (no VPN).  I recently starting having poor phone quality and called my internet provider to help diagnose the problem.  He noticed that when my computer is hooked up directly to the modem, download speeds are about 3-4Mbps.  However, when we connect the modem to the RV042, then my computer download speeds drop to about 0.3Mbps.  I'm running firmware version 1.3.12.19 and have SPI and Multicast disabled.  Does this sound like the router is malfunctioning and time to buy something new?  Or, could I simply have something setup odd that would cause a 10X reduction in download speeds?1.3.12.19-tm Firmware Version: 1.3.12.19-tm Firmware Version: 1.3.12.19-tm

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David Carr
Level 6
Level 6

Hey mark, try disabling the SPI function on the firewall.  This inspects all packets coming through the firewall and will decrease performance.  Another thing you can do is go to the bandwidth tab under system management and set the download and upload manually to what your isp is giving you.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

David Carr
Level 6
Level 6

Hey mark, try disabling the SPI function on the firewall.  This inspects all packets coming through the firewall and will decrease performance.  Another thing you can do is go to the bandwidth tab under system management and set the download and upload manually to what your isp is giving you.

Hi Davi,

As mentioned, I did have SPI and multicast disabled. However, after changing the bandwidth settings and rebooting, upload speeds went back to normal. Thanks for the suggestion!

Perfect mark, I was glad i could help you out.

Hi.  I'm still having performance issues/packet loss when RV042 in place.  I do have SPI disabled and have set bandwidth.  Since bandwidth seemed to do the trick, here and I only have one wan/isp connection required, is there a way to disable this function to see if it helps as I have no failover requirements or load-balancing options.

Thanks,

Robert

Robert, If the router does not have a second wan the failover option will not come into play.  Are you on the latest version of firmware?

Hi davicarr,

Yes, I'm using v1.3.12.19tm.

My computer has a 10/100 Ethernet card, but indication is that it is

connected at 100mb/s to the router. I've even changed auto on the router to

select 100. Are you aware of others able to attain downstream speeds in the

20+ (hopefully up to 28) mb/s range?

Thanks,

Robert