Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 compatibility between older firmware and new

karupspc15
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all

We have several RV042 routers with older firmware version 1.3.12.19-tm.

We have purchased new RV042 routers as hot spare replacement that's coming with firmware version 4.1 installed.

We have a VPN tunnels between multiple sites using the older firmware version.

My question is: Will a RV042 with firmware version 4.1 connect to a RV042 with firmware version 1.3.12.19-tm and vice versa?

3 Replies 3

jasbryan
Level 6
Level 6

Jack,

i have seen some case come through customer having problems with connections between RV042 V2 to V3. So i wanted to test this in our lab. I tried to make them disconnect and couldn't please note this was an ideal connections no ISP involved. I did put them on the T1 connection but both public ip address are really as if locally connect as they will hit the gateway and route back through several switch i still didn't have any trouble. I have seen some V3 have trouble with older modem and cause duplex mismatch, so if the connection between modem and router is solid. Your tunnels should be solid. If you have trouble give Cisco Small Business a call @ 1-866-606-1866 and open a support case on the v3 router.

Jasbryan

Thank you so much for your testing and reply.

I was curious because at one of our locations a Rv042 with firmware 1.3.xx died and was replaced with a new modem (i.e. shrink wrap boxed) that had version 4.1 on it. That new router could not establish a remote tunnel to our main site that has a RV042 with 1.3.xx firmware. It wasn't until we brought over another spare router with firmware 1.3.xxx that the tunnel connected immediately.

Jack,

Next time you run into the problem give us a call and we can assist with trouble shooting. Make sure all device are running latest firmware. We can see which phase was failing and trouble shoot from there. (Support Numbers)

Jasbryan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: