cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 config

RonWatkins
Level 1
Level 1

I have an RV042, and would like to configure the network as 172.16.0.0 /16 (255.255.0.0). I can't seem to figure out how to do this.

Can anyone give me pointers on how to get the netmask to take?

3 Replies 3

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Ron,

Unlike a traditional Cisco router, you only have GUI options , not a flexible CLI  and IOS, so you only have options presented and Class B subnet selection is not an option. You can't work with a Class C subnet mask with around  250+ IP hosts ?

Dave

No, when I bought the router I was not aware that it was limited to a single class-C network.

Our current network includes many HP servers, Barracuda and HP and EMC disk arrays. Including all the DHCP and

remote desktop system running on ESX we do not fit in a single class-C network.

Our DMZ configuration does fit inside a class-C, but not the internal network.

What options would I have for extending the network?

I already tried putting another NAT router behind the RV042, but aparently the double-natting doesn't work for

all apps, as I do get failure to connect to web page messages.

Ron

Hi Ron,

I can only suggest that the RV042 is not the correct product for your application.  If you need dual WAN connectivity, with multiple Vlanable interfaces, you can try the SA500.  But note that both the SA500 can have a class B address on it's LAN, but it's DHCP server can only allocate less than 254 addresses.  See the attached screen shot from my SA520.

Hope this help to some degree.

Dave

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: