cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 gets disconnected

zappeeeee
Level 1
Level 1

I have a problem with my RV042 router, it looses connection with my broadband modem a few times a week. It takes about 10min then it works again. If i put the network cable from my modem to my computer meanwhile it's not working on the router, it works there.

The router does restart without reason a few times a month to.

Any ideas?

11 Replies 11

David Carr
Level 6
Level 6

What is the firmware version of the router.  You might be out of date with that.  Also you might want to try and capture some logs and see if there is some noticeable wan attacks or something.

Firmware: v1.3.12.6-tm

In the logs it says LOGGING : Ping default gateway fail on ixp1.

Does the LAN side of the router still work during this time the internet goes down?  If that is the case it could be shutting down the wan interface due to an attack.  If the LAN side is down also you may need to call the Small Business Support Center at 1-866-606-1866 and let them do some troubleshooting on the router and see if it is defective.

No, the LAN-side seems to be working cause i can surf in to the routers ip and check logs.

How do i know if it's shutting down the interface?

Get a program like wireshark and have it capture packets on the wan interface.  See if you can see the traffic coming into the wan interface that way and maybe see why the wan is shutting down.  Wireshark is a free download on the internet.  It will capture all the traffic so keep that in mind before you publish the logs on the internet, make sure there is nothing secure in the capture.

So i install wireshark on a computer in the LAN and capture packets on the WAN-interface?

Have any guide how to do that or is it straight forward?         

Its pretty straight forward, on the setup.  Google the setup on how to capture the wan interface and it will show you on it. Here is a possible helpful link.

http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/Ethernet

But if i use a computer on the LAN, don't i just get the LAN-traffic then?    

You can set the interface to capture the wan interface on the wireshark.

When i get to choose Interface i only got Local or Remote.. to choose from.

If i choose Remote i need to enter a IP-adress and port, if i enter the router ip it won't work.

So i can't see how to capture the WAN interface.

zappeeeee
Level 1
Level 1

Okey, i've now noticed that it's my broadband that's the problem. Not the router.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: