Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 Hardware V 1.2 Firewall is blocking some incoming mail

lps123456789
Level 1
Level 1

Firmware Version: 1.3.12.19-tm

I'm having an issue where our RV042 router is blocking some of our customers from sending us

e-mails.I noticed thatCISCO has produced a newer version of the RVO42 V3.0 and has firmware version 4.x. Probably a stupid question but canyou upgrade the Linksys RV042 Hardware V 1.2 to the 4.x firmware? I have found a few articles and forums online about otherpeople having the same issue with the RV042 v1 randomly blocking

e-mail but no one ever has a solution to correct the issue.Some people have recommend to roll back to factory default and reconfigure

the router as the config may by corrupt. I'm notopposed to doing this but I'm just curios if this has ever worked for anyone?

Thanks,

Lo

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lo,

If you're a registered user you can find my e-mail within my profile. Please send me an e-mail so I can get detailed information regarding your issue. Detailed topology – logs – etc.

Jasbryan

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

jasbryan
Level 6
Level 6

Loren,

Curious; as i have worked with RV042v1-3 and haven't heard of this issue from any of my customers. The only thing I could think of that could possible cause this problem would be Protect Link services enabled? If you don’t have protect link service enabled then I might look at the device before RV042- I have seen customers have a T1 or T3 (Cisco) router and on that router SMTP inspection is enabled. Now I have seen this exhibit the behavior you described since I support Cisco spam and virus blocker (E-mail protection) when a router is running SMTP inspection but the RV042 router does not have this option by default.

Also you can upgrade the V1 and V2 hardware to latest 1.3.13.02 only. 4.0.4.x and up version 3 hardware only.

Jasbryan

Jasbryan,

Thanks for the reply, as far as I can tell the Protect Link services are disabled.  When clicking on the Protect Link tab I am prompted with three options

1. I want to buy Trend Micro ProtectLink Gateway

2. I have purchased ProtectLink Gateway and want to register it

3. I have my Activation Code (AC) and want to activate ProtectLink Gateway

Please let me know if i'm looking in the wrong location.  The reason why I think the firewall is to blame is I can find entries in the log file below.  My company has two ISP, one Cable one DSL.  The cable is connected to Wan1 and the DSL is connected to Wan 2.  THE RV042 is the first device on our network.

Does the ixp0 refer to the lan connection? ixp1 to wan1? ixp2 to wan2?  One of our clients that can't e-mail us allowed me to setup a test e-mail account with outlook express with one of their e-mails. I can e-mail my personal yahoo account but I cannot e-mail my work email.   

This is the Policy violation I see when trying to e-mail my work e-mail from my customers test account

Dec 4 21:47:20 2011 Connection Refused - Policy violation TCP 10.10.XX.XX:4632->67.210.XX.XX:110 on ixp0

This is another violation that shows up and I have port forwarding enabled on port 25.

Dec 4 22:50:58 2011Connection Refused - Policy violation TCP 125.163.XX.XX:26566->10.10.XX.XX:25 on ixp1

Thanks,

Lo

Lo,

If you're a registered user you can find my e-mail within my profile. Please send me an e-mail so I can get detailed information regarding your issue. Detailed topology – logs – etc.

Jasbryan

The issue was not with the Router but our customers mail server was not reading our MX records properly and were routing e-mails to our hosted website rather than our mail server.

Thanks,