cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 - How to set up a network with netmask /23 on LAN?

lucianoareal
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, folks.

In the company that I'm currently working, we have one gateway with LAN IP address 172.16.0.1 and netmask /23 [=255.255.254.0].

In this gateway, there's a DHCP server providing 510 IP addresses in its pool.

Network Diagram.bmp

I need to substitute the server, replacing it with a RV042. This afternoon, when I was configuring this router, I noticed that it doesn't let you configure different netmasks, since it comes with some of them predefined [starting in 255.255.255.0 and so on], as shown in the picture below:

RV042 DHCP Screen.bmpI need to provide DHCP for this /23 network, but it seems that DHCP field cannot assign /23 networks.

Is there another way to circumvent this problem?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or hints.

Regards,

Luciano Areal

4 Replies 4

linksysinfo
Level 4
Level 4

Thats right I think it only supports whats in the dropdown menu. the RV series are small business router that support Class C subnets only.

the Multiple Subnet feature does allow any netmask, but not sure if that would help your situation.

Regards Simon

Hi Simon,

You're right. The RV042 User Guide tells that this device can support only Class C networks, therefore it won't fit to my needs. But, since "Google is our friend", I think I've found something interesting which may solve the problem:

Source: http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/changing-subnet-mask-to-255-255-0-0-rv042-newest-firmware.4943/

In this thread, one user is asking if it's possible to change the LAN subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 [/16]. The fact is in the drop down box, which has some predefined values [255.255.255.0 to 255.255.255.252].

If you read the whole thread, you'll see that it's possible to activate Telnet service, change the subnet mask and even set up the DHCP ranges. I did these tests here but, after changing something in the web interface, the RV042 changes its subnet mask, returning it to 255.255.255.0.

I'm guessing if there's a way to change the values in the web interface code.

According to what I understood, in order to make it work, I should change the values for everything in RV, apply all rules and in the end, access via Telnet and change the netmask / DHCP settings. Is that correct?

Please, any suggestion is welcome.

Thank you,

Luciano

Simon,

Let's put it in another way.

We have a LAN 172.16.0.0 with a subnet mask 255.255.254.0.

I need to put the LAN IP 172.16.0.1 and configure the DHCP in order to serve a bunch of 480 computers in our branch.

Due to a limitation in web interface, I cannot assign this netmask, because it is not available in the drop down menu.

Is there a way to do it?

Thanks a lot,

Luciano

if you can access a telnet session to the RV then yes you maybe able too.

http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/enabling-telnetd-on-the-rv042-rv082-and-rv016.16069/

if you cant access the telnet session then i guess you cant do it. problem is that DHCP on the RV042 maybe only .1-254 clients.

Regards Simon
http://www.linksysinfo.org

Regards Simon